valentine's day with your ex boyfriend

warnings : none
word count : 1100

"please?" yoojung says as she carefully bandages her bleeding finger with a bandaid. "i need to clean up the broken glass, too."

"are you sure you don't want me to do that instead?" you ask her with concern, however your co-worker shakes her head. "okay, i'll be right back."

you are currently employed at a couple's cafe, you know, the one where everything is in twos and all cutesy and cliché. the best place to take your partner to on a beautiful day like this, valentine's day.

"ready to order?" you say to the couple on the table who had their hands waving up in the air just a moment ago.

"yes." the boyfriend on the table looks up from the menu and meets your gaze, mouth falling agape immediately. "y/n?"

your breathe hitches in your throat and everything in the restaurant is instantly silenced except his soft voice, saying your name just like how you remembered when it was late .. and he invaded vacant spaces of your mind. you remember breaking up with him, that really cold, winter afternoon just a few months ago when you cried into your hands, apologising for not being good enough, never being good enough. he deserved better than you, much, much better. you didn't want him to be degraded. you were too caught up in your finals then, too caught up in studying and school that you didn't have time for a boyfriend, didn't have time for someone like him that was so generous and perfect. you were so sorry for breaking his heart, but he wanted you to be happy, even if that didn't include him. he said he was okay, even though he wasn't and he said that he would wait for you, but he didn't.

"what would you both like tonight? the rose wine is quite popular for this occasion." you ignore his calling of your name and choke back on your treacherous tears.

"i'll have a garden salad." a garden salad? wow.. how basic can a bitch get just for jungkook? he hates girls who are shy and eat salads at fancy restaurants! i bet she even eats her burgers and fries with a fork. "and .. just a water."

"you sure?" jungkook says, and she bites her lip and nods. oh .. how great. watching a beautiful girl flirt with your ex boyfriend, whose voice still resonates through your body, whose smile still lives in your eyes and who you believe .. still carries the moon and the stars in their arms.

"yeah, just a salad." lies!

"okay, then." he averts his gaze back to you and you swear that you can feel time pause when your eyes lock. "i will have the .. pork belly with rice, i guess."

"with orange juice?" you laugh, remembering that jungkook has this thing where he really enjoys eating his rice with OJ. strange but ... it was so him.

he laughs, a genuine laugh and it makes your knees go weak. it is the first time in months that you've heard such a melodic tune. you miss him so much .. but he's with someone else now. "yes, with orange juice."

"orange juice?" the girl across the table cuts in with her laughter, lightly pushing him by the shoulder to interrupt the moment between the both of you. "that's kind of disgusting, how about you just drink some coke .. like you usually do?" she says it like she's trying to show off like she knows him, since she is suspicious about what's going on between the both of you but you just shrug.

"so .. is it orange juice or coke?" you turn back to jungkook and he shakes his head out of what seems like a daydream.

"you're right." her face brightens up and she looks as if she's going to burst into space on the chair she's sitting on. "i prefer orange juice with my meal." her eyes go dull as she sinks into her seat.

"who is this girl?" she says, her tone nothing like it was before all cheery and kind.

"she's my—"

"kitchen needs you, i'll take care of this." yoojung says as she gives you a light slap on your ass. yoojung thought that the customers were complaining, and as the main waitress it was her job to fix these things.

"alright, laters babe. see you tomorrow." you say to yoojung, pecking her on the cheek before you exit the restaurant. although the cafe closed in the am today, your shift ended at ten. you walk outside of the building and feel the aroma of good, fresh served food being cut off.

"y/n." a familiar, not-so-good voice calls not very far away, pushing themselves off the wall. you could see already, their silhouette belonged to jungkook. "can we talk?"

"yeah, sure." you shrug as you step closer to him, knowing that you had ten minutes before your bus was going to arrive. the next one was in the next hour, as buses don't often travel during the night so you had to hurry. "but i don't have much time."

"that's okay." he says generously. jungkook had always been so kind and so loving. "i just wanted to say that i miss you .. a lot, y/n." he speaks so gently that your heart aches. "congratulations on graduating, also."

"thank you jungkook." you bow your head politely, remembering that you had to spare two minutes to walk to the bus stop, so that meant you had seven minutes to go.

"so you don't feel the same way?" jungkook's voice grows softer in the night, and suddenly the coldness attacks your bare skin. it's summer, and this just has to happen to you?

"no .. i miss you too. heaps more than you miss me." you say, mostly grunting the last bit because you had just seen him with another girl on this fine valentine's day.

"that's not possible." he shakes his head and grabs your hand. it's warm. inhumanely warm. "i'm sorry, i should of bought you roses .. but i'll hold your hand instead. i've tried, and i've tried. being like this, taking girl after girl out on dinners that don't mean a thing to me .. because they're not you. so much vodka, to fill up that hole in my heart that you left in me .. or even kissing other girls because their lips are convenient when you're on my mind .. gosh, y/n you will never know how much i've been suffering just for you. i am still in love with you, you know that? and always will be."

ok u can choose ur ending ehehe but i hope these happy endings are not too annoying bc i hate reading angst or whatever that doesn't end in fluff or just has a sad ending i'm like WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!11!1!1!1!1!1!1!!! and it's a REALLLL mood killer

also make sure that he takes her home instead of her taking the grot ass bus ok hope you enjoyed <3 this is unedited probably will always be