Grammar and Spelling

I swear to god.

I have seen so many fics with shitty spelling and grammar.

If English is not your first language, it is completely understandable.

Anyone can make typos, that's completely understandable. I do it all the time.

There are many rules with english grammar. I'm not even going to try and pretend that I know them all. I know the basic grammar, (as do most english speakers) and I consider that enough.

The problem is when people who can use grammar, and can spell properly, don't do it. It makes even the best fanfiction terrible.

It can affect your writing in different ways, depending in your style. The one which bothers me the most is when people have the whole "protagonist is narrating" style, similar to the writing style of Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan novels. The style itself is fine, but when combined with terrible grammar... it's terrible.

My friend has this style, but she is terrible with grammar. It pains me to read what she writes. (But I've said nothing because I'm too nice)

An example of this with and without grammar, you can really see how grammar and correct spelling influenced your writing.

'"Hello young kits. Whats that you want to hear my story? Okay let's start at the beginning One day my mother and father decided to not that farr! My story starts when I was an apprentice. Well I was a really good fighter and hunter i was better than the others."

"Hello, young kits. What's that? You want to hear my story? Okay, let's start at the beginning. One day, my mother and father decided to... Not that far! My story starts when I was an apprentice. Well, I was a really good fighter; I was better than the others."

Can you see the difference? Despite the fact that the writing itself was terrible, the grammar and spelling greatly improved it.

But it's not only english spelling/grammar. In the world of warriors, specific words are capitalized, and others are not.

Take "Clan" for example. "Clan" is always capitalized. Always.

ThunderClan. ShadowClan. RiverClan. WindClan. SkyClan. StarClan.  Both parts of the word are capitalized.

Names gets on my nerves the most. It is not "FireStar." It is not "IceCloud." It is "Firestar," and "Icecloud." Only the prefix is capitalized, never the suffix. I can guarantee that if you use this in a fanfiction I will not read it. I cannot force myself to read it. I absolutely hate this.

Another is the use of a full stop (period, for you Americans) at th end of dialogue. I'm guilty of this, so many of us are guilty of this.
"Bramblefoot, that's a terrible idea." Amberclaw mumbled
No, no! That's incorrect. Unless action follows the dialogue, use a comma instead.
"Bramblefoot, that's a terrible idea." Ambertail flicked her ear.
However, if the action occurs in the middle of the dialogue, that's when a comma is used.
"Bramblefoot," Ambertail flicked her ear "that's a terrible idea."

What is common spelling mistakes used in Warriors fanfictions?

Prologue. Most stories have them, including my own. But it is not "prologe." It is not "prouloge." It is "prologue."

And rogue. This is my biggest issue. "Rouge" is red in French. "Rogue" is the proper spelling. Learn it.