Glorifying Powers

The last chapter on powers really sparked my interest in powers in Warrior Cat fanfiction.

One thing that I've noticed, something that really annoys me, is how everyone glorifies powers. I mean,they're superpowers! Of you have them, you're so lucky, and special.... Right?

Special? Maybe. But lucky? How about no.

Think about it. Really think about it. Would powers really be a good thing?

Mind reading - you get to learn so much about people and also learn what they think of you!

Invincibility - uh... You can't get hurt. Or defeated. What's not to like?

Water manipulation - You can control water, and bend it to your ways. Very useful, and you'd feel amazingly powerful!

Well that's all fun and games, but let's get closer.

Let's focus on Jayfeather's power, the ability to read emotions and walk in dreams.

Hell yeah, it's be pretty great. I mean, you get to understand what people are feeling! Who wouldn't want that? And walking in dreams?

Jayfeather's powers are very orientated on other people (cats)
What would realistically happen if you had that power?

Well, you would likely get very caught up in others. You would try and help them, comfort them, and eventually get so caught up in other's lives that you stop caring about your own.

You could potentially die because of this, if you got so focused in everyone around you that you forgot to eat/drink, etc.

Or, you get the opposite, you might hate the power, and not want to hear others emotions, you just want to live your life! You may end up committing suicide just to be free of it.
(Insert Halsey: "Sick of all this noise..")

Or you get the whole "I'm so overwhelmed, all these thoughts give me headaches!" And then poor, dear protagonist gets taught how to block out the noise. Try to stay away from this one, it's fairly common.

Let's talk the power of flight. I've seen this in a few fanfictions, and the ones I've seen, the cat is loved for their power. How about no.

Cats would hate it! Dear protagonist would be bullied, extremely. In fact, they'd probably be exiled because their power is quite unnatural. I mean, they all are, but this is crossing the line, in my opinion.

Have you ever thought about said protagonist being terrified of heights? When I was younger, people would always ask, "What superpower would you have if you could ever have one?" And I'd follow the crowd and say flight. Now, I say mind-reading for reasons I've already stated. I would never want the power of flight. I am deathly scared of heights, it may even be a phobia. (Because you know, most people actually don't have phobias, just major fears. I phobia can send you into an anxiety attack, you can start crying and even feel panicky at simply seeing a picture of the thing you have a phobia of. My friend has a phobia, he can't look at pictures of snakes. One time one came up on his explore feed and he flung his phone and cried. That's a phobia. My dear of heights is border lining on a phobia, I tend to feel slightly panicky at pictures/videos of heights, and I have been known to cry pretty badly at things like high ropes. But I'm not too bad, I have jumped off something that's 3.5 metres before.)

What about the drawbacks of invincibility?

You'd most likely be a cocky, arrogant bastard. Also you wouldn't really have a sense of fear. You'd partake in reckless, dangerous behaviour, probably forgetting about the safety of the people around you. You also would not grow as a person, from failure. No matter how horrible and scary failure is, it is an important growth step. (I'm so hypercritical, I have a hUge fear of failure. And I'm failing maths hahahakillmehaha)

Dovewing's hearing power? Overwhelming, like the typical mind-reading story. Not to mention you wouldn't feel much of your own person. It's very similar to mind-reading/emotion reading.

Every power has a drawback. A positive side, and a negative side. I'd love to read a fanfic that focuses more on the negative side of things.

(I'm sorry if there are bad typos, I'm writing this with my glasses off, in the shower. [Water resistant phone, y'all] And I'm too lazy to edit.)