Cannibalism

A while back, the Warriors fandom went through a phase of writing about cannibals. This phase was probably the result of an influential fandom member writing about cannibalism, which many followed suit. In fact, even I've written about it, in brief. In my case, the cannibalism is a symptom of an illness.

The majority of it was about murderer-cannibals, and it was glorified. It was seen as cool, and the person who started the whole thing did support cannibalism, and stated she would do it herself if it were legal. (Cannibalism, not murder.)

I don't want to slam this user, who isn't around anymore, but frankly, this is horrible. There are so many moral issues surrounding cannibalism. Why would you eat another human being? It's physically repulsive.

In fanfictions, it was treated like a cool thing, and let me tell you, that's not at all okay. I spend quite a lot of time in the True Crime Community on Tumblr, because the psychology behind it all fascinates me, but I've seen plenty of people lust after these serial killers/cannibals and condone what they do. It really is disgusting.

Cannibalism is not beautiful. It is not cool. It is disgusting. Morally wrong. Absolutely and utterly horrible.

Seriously, you guys. You're writing characters comparable to people like Albert Fish (killed and ate multiple children, said something along the lines of "I like children. They're tasty.) or Jeffrey Dahmer (we all know what he's done. But even then, y'all are writing about characters worse than this guy. He was disgusted in himself. Repulsed by even his own actions. Yet some of your characters just kill and eat for shits and giggles.) This isn't okay. Cannibalism is bad. Portray it as such. It is a negative thing. At least give a reason, usually a psychological issue like abuse, paraphilia, etc, and then follow it up. The cannibal gets treatment and some form of imprisonment. Maybe exiled, maybe executed.

There's nothing wrong with writing about cannibalism if you want to explore the psychological reasoning behind it. If you want to highlight it as a bad thing, then please, do that! But the moment you write about cannibalism as if it is remotely acceptable, that's when you are glamorising this issue.

So many of you are super against pedophilia, but accepting of cannibalism and the likes. That isn't at all okay. They're heavily intertwined, as cannibalism usually stems from paraphilia, which pedophilia fits under. The double standards aren't right, and we can't glorify and romanticise cannibalism as much as we can't with pedophilia.