Fucking Moonmoon

It's time to address the moon problem. If you've ever read a warriors rant book, or been in the fandom 2016-2017, you'll be very familiar with the fandom's beef with the prefix (or suffix) "moon." This particular prefix is regarded as forbidden, woe betide any unknowing 11 year old who dares use it.

This fandom hates when someone uses moon in a name. Because Vicky said it was forbidden one time, despite the clear canon contradictions (Moonflower, Ambermoon, etc.) Because its overused in mary sue ocs created by young children, which is a terribly cringy crime. If you dare use this name, expect backlash, "well-meaning individuals" who "just want to help you" by pointing out how you must never use that name. It goes against the rules. You know, as if warriors ever had concrete rules, or as if fandoms and fanfiction had to follow canon completely.

I've written about this before. If you look back on "Unrealistic Names," written in the great year for our fandom, 2017, I mentioned how it was a sacred name because its what the Clans spiritual sites are named after. And that's true. Good point, me. But whoever said that things associated with spirituality had to be forbidden to use for anyone else? There are millions of Christian children named after biblical figures, and that isn't disrespectful at all. People have been named after religious figures for a long time, and it's considered respectful! Not to mention, it's not like moon is only used as a name for the Moonpool or the Moonstone. It's also the name of the fucking moon. The moon. In the sky. Used to chart months. So what's the problem with ocs called Moonshine or Mooneyes? They're named after the glowing ball in the sky, like the sun. Just like cloud, or sky.

Yes, I know, its a name typically used by kids making beautiful and special mary sues. Come on guys, we're better than that. Cringe culture fucking sucks!! I had an oc named Moonshine when I was 12. And yeah, she was a massive mary sue. But she made me happy and I liked roleplaying as her. I was having fun! I didn't need to impress anyone or have amazing character design skills. Moon is a beautiful prefix and a beautiful suffix. No wonder younger kids gravitate to it. Its true moon has some mary sue connotations, and people might make assumptions about your character if its their prefix. But people are going to make assumptions about everything you write when they first read it. From the title to the protagonist's name, people make assumptions about everything. So let them. Sure, when people see your protagonist named Moonflight and go "oh shit, a mary sue." Their assumptions don't matter. You want to name your oc moon, fucking do it.

As a fandom, we have bigger things to worry about then people using the prefix moon. Like Draikinator. Stop policing what people name their ocs, it's completely harmless.