Forbidden Relationships

No.

No no no no no.

Way too overused.

Look at the actual series. Let's list a few forbidden relationships, shall we?
CrowLeaf
SilverGray
BlueOak
RaggedYellow
LionHeather
DoveTiger
ReedFallow
FeatherCrow (Pedophilia)
MapleApple
TigerSasha
FeatherHal
MinnowMouse
And more!

Now, I understand it. Not everyone's going to find love in their Clan. I mean, if soulmates exist, it's likely cats will love cats who aren't in the same Clan.

But many do! And there's the big thing:
Most warriors would choose loyalty to their Clan over love.

You see, these cats have been taught, all their lives, that loyalty to their Clan is the most important thing. That following the Warrior Code is very important.

In the later arcs, this is all forgotten and disregarded, and this really infuriates me.

Notice how in the first arc, the Warrior Code was followed and regarded highly?

Yeah. That's what Clan life should be like.

Now, I'm not saying we should all be obsessive assholes like Hollyleaf. But we should care.

Forbidden relationships are so fucking overused. Congratulations, you have a medicine cat. Your medicine at does not need to fall in love. At all. Crushes? Fine. Absolutely normal. Feelings reciprocated? Absolutely fine, unless they're acted upon. No romantic feelings? Absolutely fine, normal, and valid.

If you're so desperate to have a forbidden relationship, perhaps have your protagonist have previously been in one, but the two broke up. Now, the protagonist would have to deal with daily life, and whenever they see each other.

Or,the protagonist could fall in love, but plot twist, puts their loyalty first.

There's not really much to say on this subject, so sorry for the short chapter. I think most people understand the main reasoning why the forbidden relationships shouldn't be used, the fact that it's boring, and so overused. We already know what's going to happen!

Protagonist falls in love with a cat from another Clan - usually either a "dark, handsome tabby tom" or a "beautiful silver tabby"

Heterosexual of course.

Protagonist hides it from everyone, perhaps their friend finds out?

Possibly a love triangle happens, this is usually noted with female protagonists.

Oh no, the she-cat becomes pregnant! What a big shock! It's not like she would've been able to tell that she was going to have kits. I mean, seriously, they mated, how could pregnancy every have happened?

Seriously, why are she-cats always so surprised when they find out that they're pregnant? This goes for toms too.

She-cat has kits.

And it goes on.

Yep. It's fairly predictable, because it's happened so many times before!

I'd recommend not including a forbidden relationship, and if you do, don't go with the clichés. In fact, it doesn't have to have your protagonist at all! I'd stay away from a friend in one, and maybe even siblings, because it has been done before. Hey, the forbidden relationship could be between background characters, though it is somehow brought to light, or even a parent!

Oh, and as for medicine cats? Don't even go there. Can we have one loyal medicine cat?  P l e a s e?