Representation of Lgbt+

Let's talk about the representation of Lgbt+ in Warriors fanfiction.

Or more accurately, the lack of it.

There seem to be a very small number of fics with lgbt+ characters in them. I haven't  found a single nonbinary character!

I don't have as much time to read as I would like, so I haven't read that many fanfictions. So there may very well be a few nonbinary characters out there, I just haven't come across them yet.

So why is representation such an important thing? The chances are, if you're a minority, then you already understand this. (However that isn't always the case!)
Representation normalizes things. This is very prominent with poc, because pretty much everyone portrayed in books, movies,etc, are white. Children and teenagers (and adults) who are PoC do not feel accepted or a valued member of society. However, when more PoC characters are written about, or seen on tv, many begin to recognise their worth.

As far as lgbt+ goes, many children do not understand why they are different, because a lot of them haven't heard much about it. However, having more representation in the media would really help teach them that being lgbt+ is okay, and it is real.

But again, that isn't Warriors. If you have a Wattpad, then you most likely have access to other forms of social media. So you've most likely heard about Lgbt+ already. So why is it important now?

Because it's hard for lgbt+ people to read fanfiction after fanfiction, whilst being reminded constantly that they are not accepted to the point where it is normal. This includes transgender people and non binary people, as these people are part of the lgbt+ community.
Or simply because, I don't know, just a wild idea here, but it would be nice to just have some recognition?

"It's unnatural in cats!" I have done my research and come up with a lot of contradictory information. Male cats do appear to mate with other males, although it's a dominance thing. However, on an official list of homosexuality found in animals, cats were on the list.

So whatever the answer is, it doesn't matter. These aren't normal cats. There's a magical thing called personification/anthropomorphism.

"But it's not in the actual series!"
It's called fanfiction for a reason. Also, different Erin's have confirmed different things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kate confirm Tallstar was homosexual? (And that he and Jake had feelings for each other)
And Vicki confirmed RavenBarley.

"But what about kits?!"
Not all mates want to have kits. Not all mates have to have kits. If two mates with the same genitals want to have kits, then they could have another cat mate with one of the couple. Either way, someone ends up pregnant and giving birth, and them the couple would be the kits parents. It's pretty simple. One word: trans.

But if you are going to have lgbt+ characters, don't do the gay stereotype. Please don't. I only know of one gay guy who fits the gay stereotype.

Just a few things that would be nice to see
1.) Genderqueer cats
2.) A lgbt+ cat falling for a straight cat
3.) Aro/Ace representation. Not everything needs a romance, and some asexuals will still have kits, it would be only for the sake of procreation, and the fact that they wanted a kit. Not for the sexual stuff.
3.) A bisexual she-cat becoming mates with another she-cat. It seems that all of them end up with males, and while there is nothing wrong with someone who is bisexual/biromantic falling for someone who isn't the same gender, it would be nice to see some bisexual she-cats become mates with another she-cat. Once again, update from future me: this entire point is wrong, ignore it.
4.) A cat who is bisexual, but the two genders that they are attracted to are not male and female. Whilst that is common, bisexual/biromantic actually means being attracted to two genders, romantically or sexually (or both!)

Talk to people who are the gender/sexuality you're going to write about, or just research it. Don't add to the misconceptions.