Unrealistic Clans

Now this is a kind of matter that isn't just black and white, though they rarely are. This specific issue really depends on how it's written.

What is an unrealistic Clan?

Well, I see it as two types. Let's start with the first one.

These are the obviously unrealistic Clans. You don't usually see that much of these ones, which can be perceived as good, or bad. These clans are the ones where, for example, the Clan lives inside a volcano, and drinks lava and eats rocks. Or a Clan that live underwater, for example.

Obviously, this is completely unrealistic.  So, what about it is good, and what is bad?

It really works with personal preference. Some like it, others don't. I personally don't mind these types of unrealistic Clans, or even like it to an extent. For me, It really matters how  far you go, and what really goes on.

A Clan living in a volcano, drinking lava and eating rocks. For me, this is too far. Perhaps if they lived beside the volcano, and ate whatever prey they could find around there, and drank water, would be more acceptable. After all, it's still somewhat unrealistic. How could cat's bodies withstand the heat? This is where you add in the explanation. 

Now, these cats could've been genetically mutated. It could be an alternate universe, where these cats can handle immense heat. 

With unrealistic Clans, this is what really makes an unrealistic Clan okay. The explanation. In fact, this is important with all Clans! The explanation, as I call it, is how the Clan came together, how they have certain abilities and strengths. For example, SkyClan cats had a special ability of high leaps and jumps. This is because strong muscles in their hind legs were bred into their genes. RiverClan can and enjoy swimming because  that is the belief they were raised on, and sleek fur that sheds water was bred into their genetics. 

So, back to the underwater Clan. This, for unknown reasons, is rather appealing to me. In fact, I would love to write about one! But an explanation is needed! (Okay, but I'm getting sudden inspiration, I might actually write about this!) A plausible explanation for this is that twolegs captured a large group of cats and began experimenting on them.  There was an explosion in the laboratory, and the cats escaped. However, what had been done to them was irreparable, and they soon grew gills. As a consequence, they could no longer breathe oxygen, and were forced to flee underwater. Over time, they evolved to become the clan they are today. Or, a more spiritual explanation could be that they were given the gift, or curse, of being able to breathe underwater by their Warrior Ancestors.

What is the second type of unrealistic Clan. This is just my theory, and is controversial. This type is simply a Clan without any sort of explanation. 

Every Clan has a backstory, a history of how they came to be. If your Clan doesn't have that, then how realistic are they?

That is my view on the unrealistic Clans. Sometimes they work, but other times they don't. I find myself growing increasingly frustrated with the second type. For me, personally, I feel as if unrealistic Clans have the potential to work.

(On a completely unrelated note, has anyone listened to Colours Stripped by Halsey? I love it)