The Portrayal Of Villains

{Trigger Warning: Mention of rape/rapists}

This is one of my biggest problems in Warriors. The villains are pathetic.
This happens in fanfictions, and in the Warriors series itself.

The villains are all murderers who don't feel remorse, nor have any reason whatsoever for what they do, other than ambition.

NoPe.

This is pathetic and annoying. Everyone has a reason for what they do, because here's the deal. People, even if they are doing the wrong thing, believe that they are right. This lessens their actions in no way, however.

When was the last time you did something terrible? What were you feeling at the time?

I've done shitty things. We've all done shitty things. An example of this was the time where I manipulated a friend. I am not proud of this. I am horrified at the way that I didn't even think, that I didn't even recognize that I did something wrong.

Let's use an example of this. I had a group of four friends, including myself at the start of the year. We are all still friends now, but no longer a group.

One of our friends is incredibly smart, and is honestly good at everything. I mean it.

This friend would constantly put down, and make rude comments about me, and my other two friends. It was a toxic friendship.

The smart thing to do would've been to talk to her. Did we? Nope. Instead we talked about her behind her back, and ended up excluding her from a sleepover. In the end, shit went down, everything's okay now.

Did we do the right thing? Definitely not. Did we know that at the time? No. We were trying to distance ourselves from a toxic friendship, and went about it the wrong way. Did the fact that we had a reason excuse us? No. We still hurt her, no matter what we thought we were doing. But were we really the villains?

The point behind that story was to show you that things aren't as simple as black and white, good and evil. We all wronged, despite thinking we were right. The same goes in Warriors.

Take this, for example.

Smokefur is dying. His mate, Poppytail wishes there was something she could do, but her clan doesn't have the catmint. So she steals from another Clan, ThistleClan.

Despite the fact that she was stealing from her mate, she still stole from another Clan. Could she be counted as a villain?

What defines a villain? It depends on how you perceive it. My view on it? True evil are those who rape, then those who kill. However, I'm not entirely sure what I believe.

In Warriors, any cat who breaks the code can be referred to as a villain. Perhaps not evil. Refer to the real world, not all criminals are murders. There are rapists (Though this is rather controversial so I'd recommend not doing it, put trigger warnings at the start of your chapter. This can be very triggering for rape victims. Also, If you think trigger jokes are funny, go away now.) People who steal, even vandalism! There are many criminal offenses, these can all be considered villainous crimes.

The villains are all the same. Usually some dark-furred tom fueled by ambition, kills remorselessly.

Not every villain is Tigerstar. I mean, think about it, he was very similar to Brokenstar. Both ended up as leaders, both villains, both dark tabbies, both ambitious cats who kill to get what they want.

And don't get me started on Hawkfrost. He was nothing but a pathetic copy of Tigerstar.

This is why Mapleshade was so loved. Because she was different, and actually had a story.

Another problem is when people excuse villains because of tragic pasts. No, no, nopiTy nope. There is a reason behind their actions, but not an excuse.

So, in conclusion, my problems with villains are:
1.) That they never have a reason for their actions other than ambition.
2.) They're all murderers. (Then again, my villain's in my fic "The Hunted" are murderers lmao)
3.) They are all generic copies of Tigerstar.
4.) They have no depth whatsoever
5.) TraGic BacKstOries.