Unrealistic Names Ⅱ

I'm sure we can all relate to that feeling we get whenever we see a cat called Angelfeather. That feeling of immediate exasperation, of "another cringey eleven year old." We've all complained about it, or seen someone complain about it. Hell, even this book has a chapter on it.

I mean, it's annoying! It disregards canon, it's just stupid and cringey.

The thing is, it isn't damaging. Do you know what is? When you're a kid, just having fun writing about your favourite books, with your oc called Crystaleyes, and seeing all these people, the older members of the fandom, some of whom you look up to, talking about how horrible ocs like yours are, how bad fics like yours must be, and just how cringey you are. That would hurt a hell of a lot.

There are serious problems in fanfics (and the series) sometimes. Homophobia, ableism, transphobia, etc. These are problems that reflect on real societal issues. But unrealistic names is not one of these problems. You know what is? Cringe culture. And yelling at kids who just want to have fun is mean, and enforces cringe culture.

We're a fandom! We're supposed to be a family! Supporting each other and sharing our love for the series, or the world behind the series. But that isn't what's happened here. This is another rant for another day but it still relates here.

Many older members, like myself, like to take the series seriously. We like things to be professional. But there's a line, and often we cross it. Some things should not be taken so seriously, and naming is one of them.

Just leave people alone and let them have their fun, hmm?