1

Prison isn't always a single bed with a toilet across from you and steel bars keeping you locked in

Prison isn't always a single bed with a toilet across from you and steel bars keeping you locked in. Prison sometimes is a lovely home in a quiet part of Florida where everything is supposedly normal. Where the feeling of suffocation is so normal, that it's overlooked. What anyone would see as a good and lucky life is what I knew as a crippling one. Where the steel bars never open and I was trapped. I was a prisoner in my own life and the Prison Ward alternated between my internal self, screaming out my imperfections or my father.

It was a normal morning. I woke up, showered, got dressed, before straightening my naturally wavy blond hair. Then I picked up my phone for my daily phone call with my dad before school.

"Hey, dad." I said into the phone as I placed two Egos' in the toaster.

"Hey, pumpkin." He replied and I smiled.

"What's the plan for today?" He asked and I paced the kitchen.

"Nothing much, I have school then I have to tutor someone after school," I told him.

"That's good." He replied.

"What time will you be home?" He asked and I let out a sigh.

"Don't get an attitude. I just need to know when you'll be home." He snapped.

I literally just breathed.

"I should be home by five," I replied to avoid the start of an argument.

"Good, I'll call you at five fifteen." He stated and I nodded.

"Answer me when I talk to you please." He scolded.

You didn't say anything that needed a reply.

"I'll talk to you at five fifteen, Father," I replied instead just as my breakfast finished.

"Bye." He said before hanging up.

"Bye to you too ." I sighed before placing my phone down and taking my two waffles out of the toaster. Grabbing some syrup, I drizzled it on my waffle before grabbing a fork and going to the dining room.

"Bon Appetit, Rose," I muttered to the empty house.

[•]

"Good morning pretty girl." A voice said behind me and I turned to look at one of my two good friends at this awful school.

"Hey, Mia." I smiled. Her chestnut colored hair was neatly placed into two braids going down the side of her head and her chocolate brown eyes looked at me with excitement.

"I have great news." She announced while her slim but tall figure bounced up and down next to me and I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Do tell,"