63

As a recently high school graduate, August is the month we say goodbye to friends and family

As a recently high school graduate, August is the month we say goodbye to friends and family. If you're still a student, it's time to put away the video games and swim suits and pack up backpacks with new notebooks and pencils to return to school.

No teenager or young adult in their right mind like August. And I'm not any different.

"Okay, how many scoops?" I asked Mia and Sam.

"Three, one for each month we don't get to see each other." Sam pouted and I nodded before scooping us each three scoops of ice cream.

Today I have to say goodbye to my two best friends since the fifth grade. Typically, they're the ones to push me to go out with them and do something fun. Making memories is what they call it. I'd complain a little but eventually, like always, I complied. Today, they were the ones who pushed me to stay in and just watch a movie with them while we ate our feelings away.

Mia had said this was a memory she wouldn't ever forget and I agreed with her.

"Rose, why didn't Katelyn join us?" Mia asked and I handed them each their bowl of ice cream.

"Because I wanted you all to myself," I confessed. I love that my sister and my friends are close but tonight I wanted to  say goodbye to my friends alone.

"Well, isn't that cute. Rose Thorne is being selfish towards her friends." Mia teased and I rolled my eyes.

"You'll get to see her tomorrow when you come over to bring me to the airport." I explained but she was already scrolling through Netflix for a movie for us to watch.

We barely watched a silky rom com, per Sam's request. We talked through the entire movie so I really don't even know the plot line of it.

"When do you say goodbye to Jonathan?" I asked Sam.

"Some time next week, I don't leave for another week." She sighed and I rested my head on her shoulder.

"You'll be okay? Are you guys going to do the long distance thing?" I asked and she nodded.

"Not sure I'll be okay but, we are going to try the long distance thing." She replied as she leaned into me.

"What about you Mia?" I asked and she rested her head on my lap.

"Eh, I already said goodbye to Noah. We're not going to push this into anything that it's not." She replied and I nodded.

Thank goodness.

"What about you and Liam?" She asked and just at the mention of his name, my heart skipped a beat.

"Uhh..."

"Oh come on, don't get shy now. You two have been hanging out all summer long." Sam smiled and I bit back a smile of my own.

It's true, Liam and I saw each other almost everyday in the past few months. At first it was convenience in our schedules and paths crossing. Like when I went over to his house to properly thank his parents for taking care of me during my concussion. Obviously I knew he would be at his house. What I didn't know was that we would end up spending over two hours talking in his backyard.