9

I blinked.

Once, twice then once more.

Did he say engaged?

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

Dad smiled at me and Jenifer reached into her purse and took a diamond ring before slipping it onto the proper finger.

Oh, God.

"I wanted to make sure you knew before I put it on. That way you wouldn't be surprised." Jenifer explained and I took in a deep breath.

Is she serious?

Katelyn let out a humorless laugh and I looked at her.

I turned back to my dad and raised an eyebrow at him.

This is the best way he could've done this?

"Are you serious?" I asked trying to keep the anger out of my voice.

"Rosie, sweetheart-" Jenifer started and my head snapped towards her.

"Don't call me that." I hissed and my hands balled up into a fist under the table.

I can't think straight.

The steak on my plate made my mouth  water, not because it looked delicious, but because I wanted to throw up.

"Excuse me." I muttered before my chair scrapped the floor and I stood up.

"Pumpkin." Dad muttered and I shook my head at him.

How dare he.

"I'm just going to the bathroom." I told him before walking away.

I rushed through the dining hall and into the ladies' room and placed my hands on my head before letting a long breath.

He's engaged.

He's fricking engaged.

I didn't even know he was seeing someone.

Shaking my head, I started pacing the bathroom floor.

He has a completely different life that I don't even know about. One that he seems to be happier in.

The bathroom door opened and Katelyn walked in.

Great.

"You didn't know?" She asked and I raised an eyebrow at her.

"That my father is engaged? No I didn't." I told her truthfully.

"No, I meant us. Did you know about us?" She asked and I leaned against the sink.

Why does she care?

"My father is a very busy man; I don't see him often enough to ask about his love life." I replied and she frowned.