43

Liam

"You need to turn that off immediately." Mr. Thorne said and I looked up from my phone.

"Sorry." I apologized before turning the phone off and slipping it into my pockets.

"I can hold it." Mom said and I turned to face her. I handed her my phone with a nod before loosening my tie.

"Fix that." Mr. Thorne ordered and mom reached up and tightened the tie again.

I placed my hand on my neck before letting out a difficult breath. It's like a noose was around my neck.

"Take a deep breath. You can't go in there looking nervous. You look guilty. You have to look not guilty, that what you decided to plea with." Mr. Thorne stated and I looked over at him.

"I am not guilty." I told him. "We're trying to show that I am innocent, that's your job." I snapped and dad stepped in.

"Take a step back." He said before placing a hand on my shoulder but I brushed him off.

"I can't take a step back, everything is on the line. This is baseball, this is college, this is a future." I told him and mom grabbed my face in her hand.

"Hey," she brought my attention to her. "Everything is going to be fine, Charles is great at his job. He's going to make sure you walk out of there just as innocent as you walked in." She wrapped me in a hug and I let out a short puff of air.

Is he? What if he doesn't? Lawyers lose cases all the time, what if I'm one of the cases that he loses?

"It's time to go." Mr. Thorne said and I pulled away from mom.

"I love you." She whispered before placing a kiss on my cheek and I nodded.

"I love you too." I nodded again and dad squeezed my shoulders.

I took in one last deep breath before turning to Mr. Thorne.

"I'm ready." I nodded and we started walking.

[0]

"Liam, it is in my understanding that you are a vey busy person correct?" Natalie's lawyer asked and I nodded.

James Miele.

"Yes."

"So would you say that; last year when you were dating Miss Bell that you had a very busy schedule and that you were probably stressed a lot?" He asked and I nodded again before glancing at my mom.

She sent me a small smile and I looked back at the lawyer.

"Yes." I replied.

"What do you like to do when you're stressed Liam?" He asked.

"Objection, irrelevant!" Mr. Thorne intervened.

"Overruled." The judge said.

"I like to run." I replied. "Or any other form of physical activity." I added before realizing what I said.