Chapter Five

*Marilyn's POV*

I don't know what possessed him to follow me or why he stayed and in a way, I'm grateful he did. But now that I think about it, I'm also embarrassed that he saw me in that state. I hate people seeing me weak.

Although I don't quite believe it, here he is, most likely missing a class, just so he could make sure I'm ok. I've only known this boy for not even two hours, yet here he is, being more of a gentleman than any other man I've ever known.

I've nearly finished the burger, his eyes on me the whole time, but I don't feel uncomfortable like when other men look at me, I feel a sense of protection under his gaze which confuses me.

His voice breaks me out of my thoughts.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, scanning my face for any signs of discomfort. This makes me smile, remembering how he'd sloppily folded his hoodie to place it behind my head so I would be comfortable just minutes ago.

"Better, thank you Harry." I whisper, looking into his emerald eyes with a smile.

This causes him to smile too, his eyes gazing back into mine.

With a new found sense of confidence, I move the box that once contained the burger as well as my water bottle to the floor beside me and slowly crawl towards him and he seems surprised when I wrap my arms around his neck. He stills for a moment before his arms move to wrap around my back in a warm embrace.

We sit there on the floor of a school toilet stall for god knows how long, just talking about anything before something dawns on me.

"Oh my god." I exclaim, my eyes going wide.

He sits up straighter, alarmed.

"What? Are you going to be sick again?" He asks quickly, beginning to move towards the toilet to wait for it before I place my hand on his knee to stop his movements.

"No Harry." I giggle, my heart warming at his concern.

He returns back to his original position against the stall wall with confused eyes.

"What is it then?" He asks.

"We've been sitting here all day, school ended half an hour ago."

He frowns and looks at his watch before realising that I'm right, his eyes widen and he chuckles before standing and reaches out his hand to help me up which I happily accept with a thank you.

As we're walking down the almost empty hall way, he speaks up.

"How are you getting home?"

"Oh I walk." I say hesitantly, not wanting to tell him how far I walk.

"So you live really close to school then?" He asks.

I gulp at this, how do I tell him that I don't really live anywhere? That I'm just staying in a motel an hour away till my money runs out and I'm left homeless?

I clear my throat, contemplating how to answer.

"Um, not really close per say." I say slowly.

He looks over at me and asks one of the questions I've been dreading.

"How long does it take you to walk home?" A frown makes its way onto his face.

I breathe in deeply before I say "about an hour" in a mumble.

He stops walking and I turn to see why he stopped only to see him frowning at me.

"Why'd you stop?" I ask while twiddling my thumbs, already knowing the answer.

"You walk for an hour from here to your house everyday?" His frown deepens.

"Yeah." I breathe out looking down to my twiddling thumbs.

There is a pause in the conversation before he talks again.

"Come on." He states, grabbing my hand to lead me outside.

"Where are we going?" I ask hurriedly, stumbling over my own feet as I try to keep up with his long strides.

"I'm driving you home." He states and I go to decline his offer but he continues before I get the chance. "And to school tomorrow, and home again, and so on. And before you argue, you have no choice on the matter." He says light-heartedly yet sternly as we stop in front of what I can only assume is his car.

He drops my hand before moving to open the passenger door of the car. While I stand staring at him.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I speak up self consciously.

He stares at me from the other side of the door he's holding as if contemplating how to word his answer.

"Because I know how it feels to be treated like something I'm not." He speaks softly and I take in his answer, deciding not to push him further, moving to get in the car with a thank you.

He simply nods his head once as he shuts my door and moves to get in the drivers side, turning the key, bringing the car to life. He then turns to me.

"You'll have to give me directions or were going to get ourselves nowhere." He says with a chuckle.

The drive is mostly silent apart from my directions. And we soon arrive outside the motel I now call home.

As I turn to thank him, he cuts me off by opening his own door and stepping out of the car much to my surprise and then opens mine, waiting for me to get out.

I grab my bag from the back seat and get out the car with a quiet thank you for opening the door for me.

I go to walk to my apartment only to feel him following me but I don't question it, only walking silently.

I fish my key out of my bag to open the door and I step in, leaving Harry room to follow before I shut and lock the door.

I turn to him and see a look of confusion and anger on his face as he looks around.

This isn't what I wanted to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading ❤️