Chapter Thirteen

Dinner was awkward to say the least.

Harry kept his eyes on me, even when he was talking to people, but I kept my eyes away from him.

It was now after dinner and I feel Gemma tap my leg lightly so I look over at her and she gives me a nod.

I stand up and Harry instantly follows, standing from his chair.

"Ari..." He tries but I just shake my head lightly and follow Gemma up the stairs.

When we reach her room, she shuts the door and sits with me on her bed.

"So, I want to talk to you about something but I don't want to trigger anything." She starts and I become nervous.

"I had a boyfriend once upon a time." she says giving me a tight and forced smile and I look at her in confusion, wondering where this was going.

"We had been dating for about three years and we had decided to go out for our four year anniversary, I could sense in my bones that he was going to propose. I knew it, my mum knew it. It was just the way he was acting you know? He was so giddy about this date and he was more excited for this date than any other date we'd ever been on." She stops and clears her throat and I reach out and grab her hand and she continues.

"We were in the car on our way to the restaurant. We were both dressed up, I was in a dress and he was in a tux and God did he look handsome." She smiles wide at the thought.

"We were so nearly there, it was just round the corner. We went through some traffic lights and-" her voice breaks and she looks down.

I grip her hands tighter.

"There was glass everywhere, I hit my head on the window but I didn't even care about my injuries, I was instantly screaming his name, trying to make him ok. But he wasn't. Part of the windshield had smashed and pierced into his chest." She's now sobbing.

"I remember his hand on my cheek as he looked at me weakly. He reached into his pocket and shakily brought out the box." She looked up and I was now crying with her.

"He opened it and looked me in the eyes as he said 'I'm sorry I can't be here to see you walk down the aisle in a white dress with a smile that always lights up my life, but will you get half way there with me? Will you marry me Gems?' And I said yes." She wipes some of her tears.

"He smiled so wide despite the fact that he was dying and slid the ring on my finger." It's then that I notice that she is wearing a ring on her finger. A beautiful one at that.

"He died in my arms after that, whispering how sorry he was." She sniffs.

"While I was in the hospital I didn't speak to anyone, too in shock to open my mouth. When my mum had asked what happened, they said that a drunk driver had skipped a red light and smashed into his side of the car. The impact crushed his legs and the glass from the windshield had punctured one of his lungs."

"We're still engaged in my mind. It's the only way I get through it. I have promised myself to never take this ring off as long as I live. I don't plan on marrying anyone else. No one comes close to the man he was." She looks at me.

"After that I got depression and I got it hard. I would never come out of my room and I wouldn't talk to anyone. I went to therapy and I'm on multiple types of medication but it never stops hurting." She gives me a weak smile and I realise why she's telling me this.

"What I'm trying to say is that I know depression when I see it, I know what goes through your head when anything happens no matter how big or small. I know that what happened to you caused it and I know that what Harry said hurt you more than it would have hurt anyone else." She says.

"I'm always here if you need to talk and I understand that it doesn't take a lot to trigger it so there is no way in hell I would judge you for anything. No matter how silly you think it is."

I smile with tears in my eyes and I hug her tight.

"I love you Gem." I say between sobs.

"I love you too Mari." She says with tears streaming down her face.

"Ok, you can go now." She laughs lightly and I smile, kissing her forehead before getting up and leaving the room.

I shut the door and walk to my room ready to go to bed.

I open the door, wiping my eyes and jump out of my skin when I see Harry sat on my bed staring at me.

~~~~~~~~

So that's Gemma's story, I got emotional just writing this! I feel bad for her.

But I'm loving Gemma and Marilyn's friendship, aren't you?

Let me know what you guys think :)