Chapter Twenty Seven

Authors note - I'd like to point out before y'all get into this chapter, the events that take place are very painfully incorrect. Adopting a child is a very long and frustrating process and is a part of the story that I didn't want to drag out when I wrote this story. I apologise for just how inaccurate my perception of adoption is being shown, hopefully it's not too painfully wrong and y'all can still enjoy the story 🖤

~~~~~~~~~

"Can I take the blind fold off now?" Gemma asks, waving her arms around in front of her, not trusting me to lead her anywhere.

"Almost." I reply, walking through the doors and sit her on a chair in the waiting room.

"I'll be right back, do not remove that blindfold or I will take away your food." I threaten with a smile and she fake gasps.

"Fine, fine." She says and waves me off.

I walk up to the counter where an older woman sits, looking over her computer.

"Hi, I'm Marilyn, I said I'd stop by today?" I ask and she smiles, looking at her diary.

"Ah yes! We have him waiting for you! If you'd like to make your way up that hallway right there to room four, I'll bring him in." She smiles, pointing to the hallway and I say thank you before finding Gemma in the same position she was in earlier.

I grab her hand to pull her up and she yanks it away.

"Marilyn?" She asks.

"Yeah it's me, give me your hand." I say, reaching for her hand again and she lets me take it this time before I lead her along the hallway and into room four.

There are a few sofas and baby things scattering the floor so I lead her to one of the sofas and let her sit down.

"Can I take it off now?" She asks, laughing.

"Sure but first I need to tell you something." I say with a grin.

"Oh god what?" She asks and I laugh.

"You sound just like Harry." I tease and she tells me to shut up.

"Ok, so you told me two days ago that being a mother was your dream, right?"

"Right, but what does this have to do with anything?" She asks confused.

"You deserve to be happy and if being a mother is what gets you there, then you will be a mother." I say and she opens her mouth to say something but the door opens cutting her off.

The woman from earlier walks in with a baby dressed in blue and I smile gratefully to her as I take him from her arms and walk over to Gemma.

"You can take it off now." I whisper and watch as her hand hesitantly reaches for the blindfold.

She tugs it up and opens her eyes.

She frowns and looks between me and the baby before realisation floods her eyes and tears fill her eyes.

"Marilyn..." she starts and I shush her.

"This baby is one month old and abandoned into this orphanage, without a family." I start. "You are a mother with no baby."

"Gemma, he's yours." I say and watch her hands slap onto her mouth as tears stream out of her eyes before she silently reaches out for him and I give him to her.

She looks down at him and let's out a sob and a laugh as she lightly strokes his brown hair on top of his head.

"He looks like a Tyler." She whispers and I look to the woman who is sitting on another sofa with the adoption papers and she looks at me and smiles, writing Tyler down on the paper.

"You like him?" I ask with a smile.

"I love him." She says, looking at me with red, tear filled eyes. "This is the best birthday ever, thank you." She says and grabs my hand tight in her free hand.

"You want to fill out the papers so we can take him home mumma bear?" I tease and she laughs, handing me Tyler, wiping her tears and taking the forms out of the woman's hands, filling them in carefully with help from the woman.

Once she's done, she stands up and takes Tyler out of my arms with the biggest grin I've ever seen on her face.

"Congratulations Gems, you're a mummy." I say and she laughs as more tears leave her eyes and she lightly kisses Tyler's head before we leave and head home for Gemma's second surprise.

****

We walk up to Gemma's room and just as I place my hand on her bedroom door handle, she speaks up.

"Where is Harry?" And I smirk before pushing the door open to revealing the nursery Harry has been working on all day.

She's speechless and starts crying again.

"I love you guys so much." She sputters through her sobs and even I start crying, she places Tyler down in his new crib and turns, taking me and Harry into a huge hug.

I'm glad I was able to bring her dreams to life.

****

Short chapter but it pretty action packed so that makes up for it.... hopefully???

Also, I know that adoptions aren't nearly as simple as that but I don't know how it works so I did it my own way ;)