Chapter 4

"Skylar?"

"Michael?" I said as I looked into those familiar green eyes. 

"What are you doing here? And why are you dressed like that?" He looked the slightest bit angry.

"Listen, Micha-"

"No, you listen. You think you can just be two people at the same time? What's wrong with you? You're either a Pastel or you're Dark. You can't be both!" He snapped.

"Michael please, can we take this outside?" I pleaded. His eyes softened the slightest bit before grabbing my wrist and tugging me towards the exit. We walked out and he was leading me towards his car. He stopped when we were infront of it and turned to look at me.

"Well?" He asked, "Care to explain?"

"Um, I don't know how to." I answered.

"Start by why you're here? What's a goody-two-shoes like you doing at a place like this, dressed like that?" He demanded.

"Well, I always come here. I've been coming here since last year." I stated, "I had a fight with my parents and sneaked out." I said.

"Wow, a good girl like you sneaking out at night?" He chuckled.

"I never said I was a good girl." I snapped.

"Well you certainly look like one."

"Looks can be deceiving." I stated matter-of-factly.

"They sure can. Why are you dressed like that? From what i've seen, you dress Pastel every day." He said, "During school, that is. What is this? Are you living some double life? Do you have a different name when you're dressed like this?"

"No I don't have a double life. I just don't like to show my true self at school because I know people will judge. How do you do it, Michael? How do you handle knowing that so many people hate you just because you're different?" I asked.

"I've learned to cope with it. At least I have true friends, unlike you." He snapped.

"I have friends. I have Nicole." 

"Nicole? Nicole doesn't like you!" 

"Then why does she hang out with me?!" I yelled.

"Because it makes her look better by comparison!" I took a step back as if he had hit me. How could he be so cruel. I felt tears start to form in my eyes as I waited for him to apologize, but he never did.

"Maybe that's why people don't like you, Michael." I whispered.

"What?" He asked.

"You're mean and cruel. Your heart is hard and black and you sure know how to make a girl feel like complete and utter shit." I said as my voice cracked.

"Well i'm sorry for being myself unlike other people." He said. He was sorry, not for insulting me, but for being himself which led to another insult. I quickly turned around and started walking away.

"Hey!" He yelled but I ignored him, "HEY!" He ran up to me and began walking with me. I tried my best to ignore him but I couldn't.

"What the fuck do you want, Michael?!" I said the tears threatening to spill. I turned to face him.

"I'm going to walk you home." He said calmly.

"No, you're not. Why would I let you? So you can insult me and not apologize some more?" 

"It's the truth so why should I apologize?" He said. I'd had enough. I let out a scream as I squatted on my legs and pulled at my hair. The scream soon turned into a sob as I sat on the sidewalk against a fence.