Chapter 21

You guys should go read my new story called G.E.B. It's a Luke one. And my Ashton one called Stealing. The Luke one is a sci-fi, if you're into that and the Ashton one is romance.

_______________________________________________________________________________

SKYLAR'S P.O.V.

"Martha's in what?" He yelled.

"Martha's in labor, dumbass. Put your shirt on and let's go." I snapped as I jumped up. He put his shirt on quickly and followed me to the truck. He got into the driver's seat as I got into the passenger's seat. The engine roared to life and Michael drove the truck away from the lake. "Martha picked the worst time to have a baby." He mumbled as a blush engulfed my cheeks. "Michael! Shut up!" I giggled. "What? It's true! Don't tell me you're not all hot and bothered now." I shook my head as I laughed. "You are too much." 

"I'm amazing," He mumbled. "I'm sure you are." I said back. 

Soon, we were at the hospital only to see a panicking Luke. Calum had the same look of fear on his face, only he was more collected than Luke. "What's wrong?" I asked as I approached them. 

"Martha... Martha's having some complications. Her blood pressure is too high which is causing, what the doctor called, placental abruption." He said.

"Well... what's that? Is it dangerous?" I asked quickly. Luke was sitting in the chair and staring into space emptily.

"It's... It's life-threatening to both Martha and the baby. The doctor says he might have to ask the husband, who we said was Ashton just so someone could be in there with her, whether he wants us to save Martha or the baby. But Ashton said he would ask you first if it came to that." It all went silent after that. I ran my hand through my hair and sighed as I felt tears come to my eyes. I was so scared. How was I gonna decide between Martha and the baby? I felt Michael put his arm on my shoulder as a sigh escaped my mouth.  I felt numb. I couldn't think of another word but that. Martha has begun to mean so much to me in these past few months. We both went through the same thing with Marcus. She was the only one who understood that. She was beginning to be like a second mother to me. She was like a sister. I was mad, too. Mad at the world because of all women, it had to be Martha who would go through this. Why her? Why can't they put Marcus in a life-threatening situation instead of her?

"Are you okay?" Luke asked. I turned to face him and nodded. "I-I just... I don't know what to do." I took a seat next to him and he took my hand in his. "I'm sure it won't get to that, Sky, and if it does you're gonna know what to do. You always know what to do." He put his arm around my shoulder and gave me a light squeeze. Michael cleared his throat and I felt Luke take his arm off my shoulders. "Don't worry, babe. I love you and I trust that you'll make the right decision." Michael said before leaning in and kissing my lips. The kiss provided relief for a few seconds. "Thanks, Mikey." I whispered when he pulled away. He took a seat next to me and shot a glare at Luke. I probably would've asked why he did that, but I was too conflicted at the moment. He rubbed up and down my arm before pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"Ashton." Calum gasped once he saw the blonde boy walking our way with the doctor next to him. I ran up to him and asked him how Martha was. He was the one who's been with her this whole time and I can't even begin to describe how grateful I am for that.

"She's fine, well, she's a bit in pain and she could potentially die, but she says she has hope that her and the baby will be okay." He sighed. He looked drained. I almost felt bad for being with Michael instead of here where I was needed.

"What's going on, doctor?" Michael asked. The lady seemed to be in her forties and had tan skin and brown eyes along with long brown hair. 

"Well, it's not good. Martha seems to have placental abruption, which is where the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus and causes either vaginal bleeding or internal bleeding. Martha seems to have begun bleeding externally which means the placenta isn't giving the baby the nutrients it needs to survive. So the baby is slowly dying, which means that if we don't get the baby out in time, Martha might have a stillbirth. I suggest a C-section in order to do it as fast as possible." She said it calmly, but sternly. As if she was giving me a lecture. I tried my best to push down my worried feelings and my panic and act professionally. "Okay, then C-section, it is." I said. "We just need to know if Martha wants her husband or her to sign the paperwork to authorize the surgery. Who's the father of the baby?" She said, as if she knew we were lying about Ashton. "The father of the baby isn't active in our lives. He left."