Chapter 7

"You like Skylar, don't you, Michael?" The smug smirk never left his face as the words rolled off his tongue. I was in a bit of shock from the question. He thinks i've never said a word to this girl other than earlier and now he's insinuating that I like her.

"W-What are you talking about? I barely even said hello to the girl this morning?" I said as I stood up and walked into the kitchen.

"I've seen the way you look at her, Michael. The way you react when Ashton flirts with her. You like her Michael, or at least you feel something for her." He said as he chased after me.

"You can't like someone without getting to know them first, I've never spoken to her other than this morning." I grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl and took a bite.

"Ah, but you have talked to her before." He pointed a finger at me.

"When?" I said with a snicker.

"You took her home the night of the party, remember?" He was the one to snicker now.

"That doesn't mean we conversed." I rolled my eyes.

"So you sat alone in a car with Skylar for the whole ride home?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why do you care anyway?" I snapped.

"I just want to know, Mike. We're best friends and I'm pretty sure best friends tell each other if they like a girl or not." He said seriously.

"It's just... I-I kind of do." I said quietly. Calum's smile was there once again.

"I knew it." He chuckled, "And you're jealous of her and Ashton."

"Yes... I thought that maybe I had a chance with her, but then Ashton started flirting with her and I... I just can't compete with him." I sighed as I ran a hand through my hair.

"You're obviously horrible at hiding your feelings cause Ashton thinks you like Skylar." He said.

"What?!" I groaned.

"What are you going to do about it Michael? Are you just gonna sit there and watch Ashton take her? Do you really think you can stand seeing them together when you had the chance to make her yours?"

I let the words sink in a thought about it. If her and Ashton do get together, I wouldn't be able to look at them. It would crush me just to hear him mention her and talk about their date together. Talk about how sweet she is and how she let him kiss her.

"Why are you telling this to me and not Ashton?" I asked.

"You know how Ashton is, he gets a crush on a girl for two weeks then it's gone." He shrugged. He did have a point. I remember when Ashton used to have a crush on our neighbor, but that lasted about three days, "Do you really want Ashton to go and break her heart when his little crush ends? You should get her to choose you so that doesn't happen."

"But.... What if this one isn't just a little crush and we just end up confusing her? Maybe she'll like both of us and won't know who to choose?" I bit my lip as all the possibilities ran through my mind. I didn't want to hurt her anymore than she already was.

"Look, Michael, you need to stop thinking about what could happen. If you just sit there worrying about all the bad, you won't realize all the good and you might miss your chance. Just give it a try and go with the flow. Ask her on a date and it'll go on from there."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair in frustration, "Alright, Calum. Don't worry, I will at some point." I walked away before he could say anything else and went up to my room. I looked into my mirror and stared at my face. My lips are way too big and my cheeks are too pudgy. My smile is weird, it's lopsided and strange. On the other hand there is Ashton, he has a great smile and dimpled cheeks, and his lips aren't bigger than Angelina Jolie's. I sighed and ruffled my hair. the green was starting to fade out of my fringe. Maybe I should dye it blonde again? No, that's too simple, why not dark blue? Whatever, i'll figure it out at the store.