Chapter 6

SKYLAR'S P.O.V

I woke up to someone shaking me furiously.

"Skylar! Wake up! Get your fat ass out of this bed!" The female voice that I soon recognized as my step mother's yelled.

"What?" I groaned, "It's Sunday."

"The inspector is coming and you need to get ready while I make breakfast" She snapped, "You better keep quiet unless you want to go to an orphanage for the last few months until you're 18." She basically growled at me as she left the room. My step mother is an amazing cook to be honest, she's just too lazy to cook unless the inspector is coming over. 

I lazily sat up from my bed and placed my feet on the cold ground. My mind screamed at me to lay back down and not give a shit about what Martha says, but the other side of me was pretty scared of her. I got up and walked over to my closet. I pulled out a pair of faded denim jeans and a black tank top along with some undergarments and a gray sweatshirt. I then walked out of my room and into the bathroom. After fully waking myself up with the shower I slipped into the clothes and applied some concealer to cover up the dark under-eye circles that had formed. I ran a brush through my hair and put it into a bun. I walked out of the bathroom and back into my room where I put on some sandals and sat on my bed scrolling through my phone. I had a text message from Ashton:

I'm sooo sorry about last night. I got a bit carried away with the alcohol. Very hungover now X( Anyway, could I make it up to you? Me and the boys are going to be hanging out at Michael's house. Want to come? x

I thought about it for a second. I had nothing to do later when the inspector left and my parents were most likely going to go out with their friends so why not?

Sure, what time?

After a minute or so I got a response:

A: Around 1? 

S: Sure :) x

A: See ya there :) x

I put my phone in my pocket as I heard the doorbell ring.

"Skylar, could you get that?" I heard Martha yell in her I'm-trying-to-act-like-a-caring-mother voice. I rushed out of my room and towards the door to greet Mark, the inspector, with a smile.

"Skylar! How are you, sweetheart? It's been so long, look at you, all grown up!" He said as he pulled me in for a hug. I hugged back and told him to come inside. He was quite tall and had jet black hair and hazel eyes along with a bit of beard. He had a deep and raspy voice and was in his thirties.

"I'm fine, how are you, Mark?" I smiled genuinely at him. This man has been around since I was 14 and he was always very nice when he visits.

"I'm fine, but this is going to be the last time we see each other. You're turning 18! You're all grown up and can make your own decisions!" He said enthusiastically. I smiled at the thought of becoming independent and not having to rely on Martha and Marcus anymore.

"That's going to be nice. To be able to be independent and not need to rely on anyone else." I smiled as Martha came out of the kitchen.

"Martha, how nice to see you!" He said as she smiled in a fake manner and hugged him.

"It's great to see you too, Mark!" She said, trying to sound nice.

"Where's Marcus?" He asked.

"Oh, he's at work. He said he was sorry he couldn't make it." She said.

"That's too bad."

"Shall we sit?" She said as she motioned towards the kitchen. We all walked into the kitchen and sat down to see a bowl of spaghetti layed out on the table in front of our seats. As we began to eat, Mark and my "mom" began having small talk as I sat there awkwardly while eating my food.