Chapter 22

Go read my Luke fanfic? Pls?

x-x-x

SKYLAR'S P.O.V.

I sat in the chair with my knees pulled up to my chest as tears streamed down my face. I couldn't stop crying and the four boys around me seemed extremely worried. "Skylar, it's gonna be okay. We're sure Martha is just fine. The doctors didn't let her die, I swear." Michael cooed. I couldn't take it anymore. The it'll all be okay's and the just calm down, please's. I was sick and tired and I wanted to scream. 

"What do you know, Michael?" I snapped harshly, "What could you possibly know about life and death and whether people are going to be okay or not." My tone of voice could kill since it was so sharp. The boys looked at me with wide eyes as the sweet girl they once knew was gone. "Just leave me alone, all of you. I want you all as far away from me as possible." I sneered. I just wanted them to leave me alone for a minute. Let me cry in peace, for fucks sake. I don't want them to see me cry. I can't let them see me cry. 

They all took a few steps back and sat in chairs that were down the hall. I put my head in my hands and hid myself behind my knees. I wept quietly into my hands as I felt my world crumble around me. God, I'm such a bitch. Why are these boys even my friends? I cried a little bit longer before wiping my tears and looking up to stare at the white walls. I couldn't tell what was duller, me or the walls?

Suddenly, the doctor who was treating Martha began walking towards us. I jumped out of my seat and darted towards her. She had the same stone hard face she had since I first saw her. "How is she? Is she alive?" I questioned as I pulled on her lab coat. i felt hands wrap around my own and pull me back against his chest. I was thrashing in Luke's arms as tears filled my eyes. 

"Sweetie, you need to calm down or else we're going to sedate you." Her next few words went in slow motion and new tears formed in my eyes. I let out a wail once the words left her mouth. These words were life-changing, heart clenching, "Martha is fine. We were able to get her heart beating again in time. We've stabilized her blood pressure and she's getting better." I turned around and hugged Luke as I cried into his chest. "Thank you thank you thank you." I cried to no one in particular. I felt Luke wrap his arms around me as he let out a breath he had been holding. I continued to cry as I became a total emotional wreck in his arms. I saw the other boys embracing each other and felt Luke let go of me. I turned around to see Michael with his arms wide open. I held him in my arms as I still cried. "She's okay, Skylar." He whispered against my hair, "We're okay." I knew he meant that all the cruel things I said earlier were forgotten and I thanked him for that. "I love you." I whispered as I wiped my tears away. He smiled and pulled in closer and kissed my lips. It was short and sweet and made my heart flutter. 

I let go of him as I asked the doctor if we could see her. "No, not yet. But you can all go see the baby at the nursery. Just ask for the Jackson's baby." She said before shooting us a small smile and walking away. That has got to be the most emotion she's showed all night. I wonder if that's what being a doctor is all about. It's about learning how to deal with people screaming at you to save their loved one even though you're already being screamed at by your own self. It's about keeping a steady face in the hardest of times. It's about not breaking down when all the pressure is on you. I began to see the doctor in a new light as I watched her walk down the lone halls and through the double doors into uncertainty.

"Skylar!" Michael snapped me out of my thoughts and I turned to him.

"What?" I asked.

"I asked you if you wanted to go see the baby with us." He said. 

"Oh... oh, sure. Yeah." I smiled as I began to follow them down the halls to the elevator. We were on the second floor and went up to the fourth one. We got lost a bit and had to ask about three people where the nursery was, but we finally made it. I grabbed the little phone on the side of the big window that separated us from the newborn babies. "Hello?" I spoke into it, my voice a little shaky. "Hi, yes, what's the last name of the lady's baby you're looking for?"

"It's Jackson." I said. I was still a bit shaky from the cries of relief I had let out a few minutes ago. The lady said okay and hung up so I did too. A nurse with blonde hair and a small scar on her eyebrow got one of the miniature plastic cribs on wheels and moved it over to the window. She smiled at us before leaving the baby right in front of us. I let out a small gasp as I saw that the baby wasn't in a normal crib, she was in an incubator. It had two holes on the sides of it, but was completely covered other than in what seemed to be clear plastic or glass. She was tiny and looked fragile and weak. She had so many needles inside of her small body and had a respiratory tube in her nose. I put my hand over my mouth as tears of joy spilled from my eyes. She may be in a bad condition, but she was here and alive. I reached out and held onto Michael as he hugged me back. 

"She's okay, see Sky? She's fine." Michael whispered. I nodded against him before pulling back. they were all a bit teary eyed as they watched the baby shift slightly in her sleep. I sighed in relief as I wiped my tears away. God, who knows when she'll be out of that thing.

_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N: YOU'RE VERY FUCKING WELCOME. I didn't kill her cause I thought that'd be stupid cause then I'd have to write about Skylar adopting her and just ugh I'm too lazy for all of that.

VOTE BC I DIDN'T KILL HER AYYE!!

I luv u guys c:

~Judith