Chapter 4: Party Time

Summer's POV

I couldn't believe I was doing this. "This looks nothing like me. Are you sure you don't have something else? Or I could just wear what I came in?" Jordan had dressed me in a tight black dress with long sleeves that were made of lace. I tugged at the hem, trying to make it go down farther and ensure that it covered my butt.

"Oh come on. You look incredible in that dress and do you seriously want to wear what you came in?" She gave a disgusted look to my pile of clothes on her floor. I had gone to her house wearing a pair of jean shorts and a University of Alabama crewneck. I guess that's not really appropriate for a party.

"Fine," I said and tugged at the dress some more.

"You can't keep doing that. It's the length it's supposed to be and you're going to stretch it out. Now let's do your makeup." Jordan applied some eyeliner and mascara to my eyes and it was really uncomfortable. I had only worn makeup on a few other occasions. I really didn't like it and I thought I looked fine without it.

"Not too much, right?"

Jordan laughed. "You need to calm down. I thought you wanted to be a new you. You need to change some things to be a new you."

"I don't get how wearing a tight dress and makeup changes things," I mumbled under my breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." When Jordan finished my makeup, I stood up to look in the mirror. It looked nothing like when I did it. I looked amazing. You could tell I was wearing the makeup but it wasn't overdone. "Wow," I said.

"I told you to calm down. I know what I'm doing." I nodded in agreement. "Ok, let's go."

We went outside and got in her car to drive to Luke's house. It was about a five minute drive away and I couldn't keep my mouth from dropping when we arrived. Luke's house was big. Ok, big was an understatement. His house was like a mansion. "This is where Luke lives?" I asked

"Yep. C'mon." She got out of the car and I followed her. I stumbled a bit in the heels she forced me to wear. I missed my vans.

She burst through the door a few paces ahead of me and the door almost slammed in my face. I was hating the party already and I wished I'd stayed home. I could be helping my dad unbox. That probably doesn't sound fun, but I liked organizing things. Jordan was saying hello to people as we made our way through the house and I awkwardly nodded to those who acknowledged me. We ended up in the kitchen and I saw Michael out of the corner of my eye standing on the other side of the kitchen. My breath caught and my heart practically stopped. I didn't dare look at him for long because I thought he would see me and I was beyond self conscious in this dress. After yesterday at my house, when I was sure he tried to kiss me, I had almost decided that I would stay away from him except for the project. But then I couldn't stop thinking about him and part of me wished that I had kissed him.

I stayed beside Jordan and watched her fill a red solo cup with beer from the keg. "You want one, Summer?"

I shook my head. I had never had a sip of alcohol in my life and I wasn't sure if I was ready. I didn't want to try it and then spit it out everywhere if I hated it. That would be terribly embarrassing.

I glanced up to see if Michael was still in the kitchen and when I did, I found him looking in my direction. His stare was intense. He was leaning against the wall and standing with Luke, who was talking to him. He had a cup in his hand that he brought slowly to his mouth, but he never took his eyes off of me. I finally had to look away. I could feel my cheeks burning up and I couldn't take it anymore. I turned my attention back to Jordan who was refilling her cup. And then then she did something I wished she hadn't.