Chapter 7: Boys and Booze

Summer's POV

Michael wanted me to go to Luke's party tonight and I wasn't so sure. He had asked me earlier in the week so I was thankful for the time to prepare and time to get something acceptable to wear to a party since I couldn't borrow Jordan's clothes anymore. I pulled on the black and pink floral print dress and struggled with the zipper. This is why I don't wear dresses, I thought. I put on the black wedges I bought to match and hoped that I didn't trip too much in them. I curled my blonde hair for a change, but decided against makeup.

"Where are you going, sweetie?" my dad asked when I got downstairs.

"There's a party at my friend's house. It's ok that I go, right?"

"And which friend is this?" He inquired, raising his eyebrows.

"My friend Jordan," I lied. I told myself it was for his own good.

"Alright. Be safe and be home by midnight."

I nodded. "I will. Thanks, dad."

I was meeting Michael at the party so I had to find Luke's house by myself. Halfway there, I decided to take my shoes off because my feet hurt. It probably wasn't the safest to walk barefoot, but it was a lot more comfortable. I sighed with relief when I got to Luke's and slipped my shoes back on. I pushed through the door and literally felt the bass in the music. I wasn't sure if I could ever get used to that. I walked around the house, or mansion rather, looking for Michael.

"Didn't think I'd see you here."

I stopped in my tracks and looked to my left to find Jordan. "And why not?" I tried to keep my voice as steady as possible.

Jordan shrugged. "Thought I scared you away, but maybe I misjudged you."

"I really don't care what you think and I can go where I please. Now if you'll excuse me-" I started to walk away but her words stopped me.

"You're looking for Michael?" I could feel my face pale and mouth dry up. Jordan laughed. She leaned close to me and whispered, "I love the effect I have on you. How much power I have over you. Michael only likes you because you're new. Just remember that."

I wanted to push her or punch her or something to that effect, but I stayed still. I didn't even say anything. I stared straight ahead and let her words sink in. She was right. Her words always got to me and Michael probably did only like me because I was new. Jordan stepped away from me as Michael walked up to us.

"Jordan, what are you doing? I told you to stay away from her!"

What? Did he not think I could handle myself? I wasn't sure that I could, but I still wasn't happy that he felt the need to tell her to stay away from me.

"We were just having a friendly conversation, Mike."

He sighed as he wrapped an arm around my waist. "Whatever. Please, just leave both of us alone." Jordan rolled her eyes and walked away. "I'm sorry. I thought she was going to leave you alone but I should've known better."

I clung close to his side. "Michael, you don't have to do that. As long as you stay away from her and don't encourage her, she should give up on bothering us after awhile."

He sighed. "I was just trying to make it easier for you." He pulled away from me. "Did you go out and get this for tonight?" he asked.

I blushed as he looked me over and I crossed my arms over my chest. "Maybe..."

"And curled your hair?" he asked slowly, twirling a curl around his finger. I giggled as I nodded. "Are you trying to get me to kiss you?"

"Not here!" I whispered.