Chapter 15: Curfew

Summer's POV

It's been two weeks since I saw Michael kissing Jordan. Two since we had that fight. Two since I cried in my bed for that night. Two weeks since he told me about his girlfriend that committed suicide. Two weeks since I've been a virgin. Two weeks and things were great again. But I felt like it something could happen at any point and ruin everything again. I'm not sure why though. Maybe because I still couldn't see myself with Michael. He was so different that myself. He had that bad boy persona with not caring about school and partying on the weekends while I always did what I was told (at least I used to) and got perfect grades. At the same time, I thought we were perfect together. He could always make me smile and he was softer around me. He actually tried and cared about things. Maybe we were changing each other though and I didn't want that. I didn't want to change him. I wanted to him to still be himself and I wanted to still be me. I promised myself that if I ever looked in the mirror and didn't recognize the person looking back and the reason was because of Michael, I would revaluate being with him.

Tonight was another one of Luke's parties. I wondered what his parents thought of him throwing all these parties but I never noticed them when I was there. Maybe I would ask him sometime. I was meeting Michael there, so I changed into my maroon skater skirt and fitted black top.

"Where are you going?" my dad questioned when I came downstairs. He was frequently in the kitchen nowadays. It was pissing me off because he always asked where I was going and who I was going to be with.

"Out to Luke's. Don't worry, I'll be home by one."

"Midnight," he said sternly.

"It's the weekend," I crossed my arms over chest.

"You've been out a lot lately. You need your rest so you can do your schoolwork tomorrow."

"An hour isn't that big of a deal," I argued.

"Exactly. Midnight. I'm not changing my mind Summer Marie."

I glared at him. He rarely used my middle name. I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Whatever," I said and left.

When I got to Luke's, the music was loud and I could feel the bass running through my body. I liked the feeling now, one that I had hated when I came to the first party with Jordan. I looked around for Michael, but I didn't see him anywhere. I went to the kitchen because that's where he normally was, but he wasn't there either. I poured myself a beer from the keg and took a sip. The taste of it was something I liked now as well. If someone told the old me that lived in Alabama that I would be at a party drinking beer and have a boyfriend, I would call them a liar. I contemplated this as I drank my beer.

I felt hands slip around my waist from behind. "You made it," he whispered in my ear.

I turned around in his arms. "I have to leave early though," I said sadly.

He pouted and started kissing me along my jaw. "There's nothing I can do to make you stay longer?" he asked in between kisses. He finally kissed me on the lips and I moaned quietly.

"I wish, but my dad looked pissed. He even used my middle name, which he hasn't done in forever."

"Fine," he said, letting go of me and got a beer of his own.

"I'm sorry, but I don't want to get grounded again. It's not like I couldn't come at all."

"It's just I haven't been with someone who has a curfew or check in with daddy."

It sounded like he was mocking me. I felt tears start to prick my eyes and I wanted to run away from him. "I need some air," I said. I turned and he started to follow me. "Don't come with me," I warned.