Chapter 24: Get Away

Michael's POV

"Where are we going?" she asked for the thousandth time.

"I told you it's a surprise. Now would please stop asking. You're distracting my driving. I've only done this a few times, you know." I was "borrowing" my mom's car to go away for the weekend with Summer. We'd been back together for a little over two weeks and I felt like we needed some time just us. My mom never used her car, it just stayed at the house so I hoped she wouldn't notice it being gone. I didn't have my license, but the guys and I had taken it a few times before to get away. I wasn't the best driver, but I was ok.

"That doesn't make me feel better," she looked out the window. at the blue sky. I chanced a look at her. Her blonde hair falling in front of face, her fingers tapping her knee, her lips moving along with the music but no sound coming out. I looked back at the road.

I covered her hand with mine, stopping her tapping. She was getting a little restless since we had been driving for about three hours. "Calm down, Summer. We're almost there." She nodded and I felt her relax. "We're here," I announced ten minutes later. I pulled the car up to a small cabin.

"You own this right?" she asked skeptically.

"I"m not a complete criminal, Summer. It's my family's cabin, so yes we own it. We came here quite a bit when I was younger, but not so much anymore. I'm not sure what shape it's in." We climbed out of the car and I laced my fingers with hers.

"It really is beautiful, Mikey. Thanks for doing this."

I nodded as I opened the door. I was glad to see that it was clean from whoever was there last. The cabin was made of a dark wood and I loved the feel of it. It was cold inside so I went over to the fireplace and lit a match, starting it. "Hopefully that warms it up soon." Summer clutched onto my side as we stood in front of the fire, trying to stay warm.

I tried to remember the last time I was here and it took me a moment to place it but when I finally did, I stiffened. "Are you ok?" Summer asked, noticing my shift in mood.

I nodded quickly, shoving the memory from my mind. "Yeah, yeah. I'm gonna go get our bags. You stay by the fire." I left her with a confused look on her face, but she didn't push it. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, coming here. I wanted nothing more than to get the memory out of my head but it was stuck there. There wasn't anything particular about it that stood out, just that Tabitha and Jordan came with. I had begged my parents for weeks to let them come and they finally agreed. I wanted to make my own memories with Summer and not have them blend with memories of them, but I felt like everything in my life was connected to them. I just couldn't escape.

"Getting warmer yet?" I asked as I reentered the cabin. Summer was now sitting on the navy blue sofa.

"Mhmm. Much better."

I set the bags down and joined her. "Let's get some food. What do you wanna have?"

"Can we order pizza?"

"As much as I love pizza, we can't order pizza out here. How about I cook us some spaghetti?"

"That actually sounds amazing! You know how to cook though?"

"Summer, spaghetti isn't that difficult."

She laughed, "yeah. I guess not. Did you want help?"

"No, you rest." I stood up and she laid back on the couch. I kissed her forehead. "Should be ready within the hour." I covered her with a blanket before going into the kitchen.

***********

"This smells wonderful," her voice was behind me, traced with sleep.

I was just setting the food on the small round table as she entered the kitchen. I looked up, noticing her hair was a mess and her shirt wasn't straight. "Have a good nap?" I could hear her snoring softly as I was cooking.