Chapter Eight ✓

WAR IN THE CITY

I COULDN'T CHOOSE WHO TO GO WITH. If I choose Simon, then how are we supposed to find our Mother? If I go with Jace, he'll be able to help us find her. A complete stranger over our best friend.

"Clary, Bella. Come on. We have to go."

"Simon, I think Jace can help us," Clary said, grabbing Simon's hand. "What?"

"How do we know this Mick-Jagger looking guy isn't gonna try-"

"Mundane, we do not have the time," Jace said, slapping Simon's shoulder.

"Come on, Simon. Let's go." We walked inside the place where we were before. Jace made a rune on his arm when he walked in. I shut the door behind me.

"I know, trust me," Clary said. "He's like... burning himself. Buddy, what's going on? Hey, I'm not you're type man." Jace placed a hand on his shoulder. The place turned into the same as it was before. My eyes widened. Does my Mother know about this place?

"Where are we?" Simon asked.

"What the hell? Clary, is there a war going on that I don't know about?"

"There is now." Jace said.

"And I think my Mother's in the centre of it." I said, balling my fists together. Just thinking about her makes me upset. I don't know what's truly happening here, but all I know is that I need my Mother back. She's always been there for me when our Father hasn't been. Now it's my turn to help her and find her. I'll do anything in my way to find her.

"You coming?" Jace asked us. "Yeah," I said, following him. "What is this place? There's a lot of gear here. What'd they do? Rob a tech shop?"

"So this cold-blooded killer is gonna help us?" Simon asked.

"He's not a killer. He's protecting us." I said.

"Specifically you guys. It's sort of our thing." Jace grinned.

I noticed Clary smiling a little. "Your thing? You guys have a thing?" Simon asked Clair.

"He means a Shadowhunter thing." I said. "That's what they do, protecting humans from demons." I can't believe I just said that. "Demons, right. That makes perfect sense. Cause there are demons running around all over New York!" "That is the first correct thing you've said all day."

"NYPD!"

We watched them from the screen. "Won't they find us?" I asked.

"No. Our wards will deter them."

"Police."

"And the NYPD will do their typical mundane thing for a few hours then this area will be clear." He explained. What's going on?" Alec asked. He walked over to us. "Why is there a mundane in the institute?" That's what this place is called. "A circle member followed him to get to Clary and Bella." Jace explained to Alec. Alec glared at me again.

"What exactly is a circle member? And why are they trying to kill us?" Simon asked.

"All we know is a long time ago a circle led to revolt. A lot of Shadowhunters got killed. Including my Father." Jace said. I frowned. "And since the revolt we've forbidden to even hear about the circle." Jace said. "But how is that even possible? It's your history," Clair said. Jace scoffs. "Says the girls who didn't know they were Shadowhunters?"

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right. And the only person who knows the truth is missing. I don't care about your rules or what's forbidden. There's got to be someone out there who can tell us where she went."

"There is." My eyes widened.

"What?"

Jace nodded. "You guys coming?" I gave Clary a nervous glance. "Yeah." Clary said. "No, no, no. Not you," Jace said, pushing Simon back.

"Hey, we're a package deal." Clary said to Jace.

"Yeah." The boy agreed. "There are runes all over the training room floor that would kill your mundane boyfriend." Jace said. I chuckled, bringing my hand up to my mouth to stop myself from smiling. "He's not my-" Clary said.

"We're just friends." Simon said nervously. "Best friends."

"Yeah, and I'm tough. I can handle runes. So, bring on the runes," Simon said, smacking Jace's shoulder.

"What, exactly, are runes?" 

"They give Shadowhunters our demon fighting powers," Isabelle said. She lit up a her rune on her arm. "So hot," Simon muttered. "The rune." He cleared his throat. "Don't worry, girls. I'll watch over the best friend." Alec folded his arms and looked over at me. "In fact, I was just about to make breakfast." She said. "On second thought, the runes might be less lethal." Jace said. I chuckled. "I'll pretend I didn't here that. Please, excuse my brothers lack of manners." She said. "This is Alec. I'm Isabelle."

"Lewis. Simon, Lewis. And I'm still talking?" He said, shaking Isabelle's hand while smiling at her.

"See? Best friend's safe around here." Jace said.

"Jace, if anything happens to him..." I said. "Go ahead, I'll be fine." Simon assured. He muttered. "I think." He looked at Isabelle nervously and she smiled.