Chapter Thirty Nine ✓

JC (JACE WAYLON)

JC (JACE WAYLON)

MAGNUS BEGAN THE STORIES, CLARY AND I LISTENED. "When I first heard about your Father the time he and Jocelyn had first gotten together, long before the uprising and the circle. Valentine had elevated the Morgenstern's name to be synonymous with virtue." Clary was the one sketching everything on paper.

"And your Mother was at his side. But by this time my people came to know him, barely two years later his name became synonymous with devastation. Your Mother told me it when she first saw the signs."

"They never found all the bodies. We'd all stood with the Clave for centuries." Magnus said. "How could that not matter to him?" I asked, running a hand through my hair, letting out a puff of air that was caught in my throat.

"He was obsessed with the ensuring purity of blood. Convinced that the impurities where a threat to peace." Magnus explained, "He was the threat to peace. Mad men rarely made sense. Mostly, they just hate. And he hated the Downworlder's. For the gifts that we could possess which he could not have. He hated us all. Enough to kill us." 

-

"Tell me why our Mother gave up on being a Shadowhunter." I said.

"She had to protect you girls," Magnus said. "From our Father the lunatic." Clary said. All of the sudden I heard Luke groan. "Luke," I whispered. "Luke!" Clary yelled. Clary and I ran into the living room.

"The magics wearing off," Magnus said. "It was our fault. It was all our fault!" Luke said. "Luke!" I said, tears filling my eyes. "It's getting worse!" Magnus said. "What do we do?" Clary asked.

"We can't leave him. The position stock still needs to Komodo scale."

"Find it, girls. Add the rest when they get here." Magnus said, "You'll have to feed it to Luke."

"What about you?" I asked him. "I'll hold on as long as I can. Go!" Then Clary and I took off in a sprint.

-

Clary and I came back. Luke was okay. He was sitting up in bed. Jace, and Simon, were here. So was Alec. "Alec," I whispered, running over to him. I embraced him in a hug. He hesitated, then wrapped his arms around me. I breathed in his scent.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I am now," I whispered, clinging on him tightly. I pulled away, smiling a little.

"Luke's okay because of you." I said. I stood up on my tip-toes, considering Alec is so damn tall, and placed my lips on his soft ones. I completely forgot that Clary was in the room.

I pulled back, embarrassed. "Uh, did we miss something?" Jace asked confused. I looked over at them, standing on my feet fully again.

My face heated up, and my heart raced.

"Uhh..." I said, being un able to talk. "Bella, we'll talk later. We need to see Luke." Clary said. I nodded, agreeing. Alec let go of my hand then I followed Clair into the bedroom. Magnus was there, puffing up Luke's pillows for him.

"Thank you, Magnus," Luke said, annoyed. I giggled.

"You know you can't avoid the question, right? I know Mom swore you to secrecy, but I've seen you stand up to her before. Why didn't you tell Bella and I any of this?" Clary asked. We went to go sit on the end of the bed. "Because I was afraid that you would hate us," he said, looking at Clary and I.

"Not possible." I said, sighing and folding my arms.

"Okay. The last few days, Bella and I have not had all the information," Clary said.

"And you girls still don't." Luke said. I furrowed my eyebrows. What's he talking about? "But you need to know everything. It'll help you find The Mortal Cup."

"How will it help us find that stupid cup?" I asked.

"You girls are just gonna have to trust me." Luke said. "We do. More than you'll ever know." Clary smiled at me a little.

"Magnus told you girls about the uprising?" I nodded. "Yes." Clair said. "About Valentine who murdered all those people?" "Yes." The next thing Luke told us, I couldn't believe it.

"JC stands for Jonathan Christopher. Your's and Bella's brother." Luke said. "We have a brother?" I asked, my eyes widening. "Did. He died in the fire of Fairchild Manor. A fire that your Father set." Oh, my god. Our Father killed our own brother? How could he?! His own Son? The box that Clary had, I held it in my hands then I smacked it down on the paper.

"That's it!" I snapped.

"That's the ending of the story that our Mother needed us to here. But... is that what she meant to unlock? "How the hell did Bella do that?" I turned my head, looking at the paper. The box was sketched on to it. "What the hell?"

"There are Shadowhunters that have unusual angelic powers. I've never seen anyone do what Bella just did," Luke explained. "Can Bella's powers be inherited?" Clary asked, grinning. "I think so." Luke chuckled softly. "I know where our Mother hid the Cup."