Chapter Twenty Six ✓

THE LAIR

"MAGNUS'S LAIR IS RIGHT BEHIND THIS FENCE," JACE TOLD US. I squinted my eyes to get a good look. Though, I don't know how exactly there can be a lair without seeing it? Where is it?

"Magnus lives in a warehouse?" My twin asked. "Not exactly," Jace replies, "Warlock glamour." That made Clary smile a little bit. "Oh," I said, nodding.

"Something's wrong. It's far too easy to get this close." Isabelle told us.

"His protective wards must be down." Alec said.

We heard was grunting and yelling. I gasped as all of our eyes shot up to see a man being stabbed and falling down on the ground. "Oh, god!" I choked out, "Valentine found Magnus!" We all ran our separate ways and I was with Clary. I don't know where the others went but I heard a little girl crying.

"Daddy," she cried. She bent down to look at the man that was obviously her Dad. I felt so bad for her.

She lost her Dad so young. Just like we and I did.

But now we know the horrible, awful, truth.

"Daddy! Daddy?" She asked him, trying to shake him awake. "Daddy, wake up. Please?!"

The little girl cried. I felt my heart break. 

"Watch out!" Clary yelled. She saw a man coming toward us with an sword. "No!" I yelled. "Bella, Clary, Fairchild." The man said. The man walked over to me and grinned.

"Get away!" I yelled, grabbing my sword and pointing it at him. "Stay away from her!" I gasped when I saw Isabelle behind us and she used her snake bracelet to grab the man by the legs and swing him down. Then someone from up top threw a knife and hit him in the shoulder, causing the man to groan and fall on to the floor.

"Thanks for that," I said to Jace as I breathed out.

"Anytime." Jace said, sending me a wink.

"Stick close. It's safest if we stay together."

Isabelle demanded. I nodded, walking over to Clary and the little girl.

"It's okay. Bella and I won't leave you alone, we promise."

-

We made it to Magnus's place and I saw him with Alec. I looked at Alec. It made my heart flutter. "Hey, you okay?" He asked, walking over to me and placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Y-yeah I'm fine." I breathed, feeling nervous from his touch. "Magnus." Clary said to him. The little girl ran over to Magnus and gave him a hug. "Go join the others, my dear. This is no place for a little girl."

I nodded, agreeing. Alec stood close by my side. "I heard what you and Bella did for Zoe. You both risked your lives without hesitation to save a young warlock child." Magnus said to us. "She was just a girl and she was in trouble. We had no choice." I said to Magnus. "You always have a choice, Bella."

"You're not like the others Clary, Bella, Fairchild. Most Shadowhunters protect Downworlder's out of sense of duty. You guys saved young Zoe for what was in your heart."

"You girls are more like your Mother than you'll ever know." Magnus told us. That made my heart break into millions of pieces. But a part of me had hope. Hope that we would find her somewhere. Hope that we will find my Mother.