Chapter Nine ✓

A FORMER CIRCLE MEMBER

CLARY, JACE, AND I WALKED INTO THE TRAINING ROOM TOGETHER. We saw a guy who was training and he looked like he was a pretty good fighter. He looked like someone who's been doing it a long time. "Who's that guy?" I asked.

"That's Hodge Starkweather. He's our weapon trainer." Jace answered. "And more important for us, a former circle member. After the uprising Hodge repented and he was sent to live and work here to make amends. But he's forbidden to ever leave the institute." When Hodge finished he walked over to us and slipped a shirt on.

"Jocelyn," he said when he looked at me and then he looked at Clary and his eyes widened.

"Jocelyn Fray is our Mother," I said, folding my arms. "Well, she was Jocelyn Fairchild when I knew her. And she was one of my best friends."

"She's been kidnapped by someone named Valentine and his men." I said. "By the circle, Hodge." Jace said to him.

"But that's impossible. Valentine's dead. And the circle died along with him-" The red and pink circle thing on his neck lit up and he started choking.

"What's happening?" Clary asked frantically.

"I swore to a vow I never speak of what we did. This is the Clave's way of making sure I keep that vow." Hodge explained. My eyes widened. "We can't torture him Jace," I said, frowning. "Isn't there any one else we can ask?"

"Our leader... our leader of the circle was Valentine Morgenstern." He winces in pain. "But we never realized the lengths Valentine was willing to go. The people he was willing to sacrifice." He inhales deeply.

"Most of humanity will die if we carried out Valentine's plan."

"But I-I still don't understand. How does our Mother relate to any of this?" I asked.

"Jocelyn was a member of the circle as well!" I gasped and jumped back when Hodge groaned in pain, falling to the floor while catching his breathe.

Our Mother Jocelyn, was in the circle?

She was the former circle member?

Oh, my god.