Chapter 29 : Wolf Leader

Inside the forest

A wolf could be seen lying on the ground below a giant tree. It had a distinctive feature that made it different than other wolves. Its Bloodshot eyes and the scar on its face was enough to instill fear to other creature. It was the leader of the pack which chased after Ragna a few hours ago, a mutation of the normal Black Wolf.

The quiet atmosphere of the forest, coupled with the fact that its territory was guarded by several wolves in the different area surrounding it made it feel a bit relaxed. This part of the forest rarely had dangers that posed a threat to it. In this place, the regions are separated by monster's type and power. That was the only way to maintain peace. Of course, that didn't apply to weak creatures which served only as their food.

Suddenly, it sensed someone approaching. It was the human he chased earlier that day!

Ragna was running toward the Wolf Leader. In the air around him were 5 rotating Blood Orbs. He was moving while chanting a spell.

The Wolf Leader howled loudly to warn its kinsmen. In no time, 3 other wolves came from each direction except from the one where Ragna showed up. Those 3 wolves had a slightly bigger build than other wolves. It was clear that they were the Leader's personal guard.

Ragna released the spell which he had finished chanting. His target was the Wolf Leader!

Quagmire!

The ground beneath the Wolf Leader suddenly softened. The originally hard soil became as soft as a clay. Its leg was trapped within the mud-like ground. It tried hard to move, but its movement was heavily restricted!

After reaching level 15, Ragna had unlocked another skill from the Earth Series. It was Quagmire, a utility spell. Even though it deal no damage, it could restrict the opponent's movement. Its power was directly proportioned to the user's Wisdom stat, not the Intelligence.

In fact, all of the Utility spells relied on the player's Wisdom. That was the reason why utility spells were not popular among players. Normally, a quagmire can only slightly affect a monster's speed for a quick moment. It wasn't enough to cast another spell. The better thing to do was to use a DPS spell right away.

But Ragna's wisdom was unusually high! The power behind his Quagmire was far stronger than other players'. The Wolf Leader was unable to free itself from the spell. At least not in a few seconds.

Ragna quickly changed his direction toward the wolf at his left. His hand slowly brightened with blood red radiance. He pointed at the wolf in front of him. Suddenly, one of the orbs moved toward the wolf, cleanly hitting its head!

The wolves flinched for a moment. When it regained its mind, Ragna's fist was already right in front of its eyes.

Soul Strike! Critical Hit!

Even though Critical Rate was closely related to one's dexterity, there were too many things to consider one's true probability of producing a Critical Hit. The spot where one attacked, The timing, and obviously, the mental state of the target.

The wolf flew toward a big tree. It slammed into the tree's trunk, producing a loud crashing sound.

Ragna didn't stop for even a bit. He kept running toward the injured wolf. Two other wolves behind him were closing on him!

He pointed his left hand's finger toward his back. Two of the orbs flew toward them. He didn't even look back. After fighting those wolves for a few hours, he had already adapted to its movement speed and turn rate. It wasn't hard for him to predict their general location.