The Avengers [b. barnes]

Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Imagine: Being in hiding with Bucky during the plot of Captain America: Civil War
Warnings: None

You were slaving away in the kitchen, working on dinner and sweating over the oven. The apartment may have been small, but the kitchen was decent enough to still do some cooking.

You were making potato soup and plum tarts, Bucky's favorite. The soup was done and simmering, you were just waiting for Bucky to get back with plums so you could finish the tarts.

You were sneaking a bite of the soup when you heard the front door open and close.

"The soup is done Buck, now I just need to finish-"

You stopped talking as you turned and found a man standing the living room– not Bucky.

He had sandy hair and was dressed in red, white, and blue with a shield in hand.

"Leave," you said through gritted teeth.

Bucky wasn't ready for this, for him. He needed more time to sift through old memories; more time to heal.

"I just want to talk." The man said, putting his shield on his back and holding his hands up.

Your gaze darted behind Steve and you sighed as Bucky came through the window. He brushed into the kitchen, coming to standing in between you and the man.

"Steve."

You moved back to the stove, stirring the soup quietly. This wasn't your conversation to have anyway.

"I don't suppose you got the plums.?" You asked before the boys said anything.

Bucky cracked a smile, handing up a brown paper bag. You beamed, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks Buck."

"No problem, doll."

You ushered the boys over to the small dining table, setting bowls of soup down in front of them.

"Might as well eat while you talk, both of you."

Bucky took a sip and smiled up at you. "It's delicious, thank you."

"Buck, the UN was bombed. They think it was you."

You tensed. Steve took no pause in blurting out the reason he was here. Couldn't he at least eat some soup first?

"No, I don't do that stuff anymore."

You couldn't help but smile a bit at Bucky's reply; you were proud of him.

"Well the people who think you did are on their way, and they're not planning on taking you alive."

Your smile instantly dropped and a scowl replaced it.

"That's probably a good plan."

You slammed your hand down on the table. "Over my dead body."

Bucky smiled, knowing you'd do whatever it took to keep him safe. He loved you for it. He carefully removed your hands from the table and pulled you down to him. You rested on his lap, wrapping your arms around his neck.

"Promise you won't let them take you," your voice was muffled as you buried your face into the crook of his neck.

He kissed your temple, ignoring Steve's burning gaze. It no longer mattered to him that Steve was here, that Steve had somehow found him. His first and only concern was keeping you safe and by his side.

"I promise, doll. I promise."