TWD [r. grimes]

Pairing: Rick Grimes x Reader
Imagine: Rick catches you and Gabriel digging a grave for Ron's father after the incident.
Warnings: None

You hauled the shovel, sweat dripping down your forehead. You were digging graves; two of them. One for the murderer, and one for the murdered.

"What are you doing?"

You looked up and found Rick giving you an incredulous look. Gabriel stood beside you, and it was him who spoke, "We wanted to help."

"I was on a walk and saw him digging. Wasn't doing anything else, so I stopped to help out." You added, wiping your face off with your shirt.

You could see Morgan behind Rick, staring at you with an emotion you couldn't read.

"We only need one," Rick said sharply, glancing at the two holes in the ground.

"But...we have two men," Gabriel said.

"We don't bury killers inside these walls."

You shook your head. "Rick, I know what he did was awful; it was unforgivable. But we have to bury him here."

He shook his head, anger clear on his face. "No," he said, voice getting louder.

"Rick! He has children! What are you going to tell Ron? That he can't visit his own fathers grave because we didn't have the decency to give him a proper burial?" You couldn't believe him.

Unknown to you, Ron stood behind the trees in the distance. In the midst of all his anger and sadness, his heart swelled as you stood up for his father. You had become great friends, and he was like the little brother you never had.

"Rick is right." Deanna came seemingly out of no where and spoke quietly.

You shook your head. Rick had been different, ever since the accident. He wasn't the man you had fallen in love with anymore.

"Please, Rick." You looked to him with pleading eyes.

"If we don't do this for his children, and his wife, they'll never get the change to say a proper goodbye."

Ricks eyes softened for a moment. He knew your backstory. You never got the change to say goodbye to your family, and it haunted you to this day.

You thought maybe you had gotten him to change his mind; but then he looked down at the body bags again and his eyes hardened.

"No. We throw him outside the wall."

You threw your shovel down and stood your ground.
"Over my dead body," you snarled.  Lover or not, Rick was making the wrong decision here.

Rick laughed dryly, a sound that usually brought you comfort but now just frightened you. He stepped closer to you, so you were staring right into each other's eyes, inches apart.

"Rick, this isn't you," you started again.

He shook his head, getting even more angry.

"Rick, you've changed. Everyone can see it, even Morgan. Change is good, but you're becoming someone you don't want to be."
You pleaded your case, watching as Rick got more and more irritated as you continued to talk.

You were walking on dangerous territory, getting Rick worked up like this. But it was a risk you were willing to take, for the sake of Ron and his brother and his mother.

"Stop it, " snarled.

"I will not. Think of everyone we've lost on the way. Lori and Dale and T-Dog, Andrea and Merle and Hershel." You paused for a moment. "And Beth. Would they want you to be like this?"