Criminal Minds [s. reid]

Pairing: Spencer Reid x Imagine
Imagine: A little fear of flying was never going to stop you from your dream job......but not even the private jet is enough to erase your instinctual dread.
Warnings: None

As you sat on the jet you couldn't stop either of your knees from bouncing. It didn't matter that you were a badass BAU agent who hunted the worst of humanity, didn't matter that you had seen the stuff of nightmares, been to the darkest deepest corners of hell and back. You were terrified of flying.

"You good, bee?" Morgan was the first to speak up about your obvious anxious tells.

The nickname had come not long after you started, when Derek made the observation that you buzzed around the office like a nervous bumble bee. Derek was all about his nicknames, so now you heard that more than your own name.

You nodded, knowing that if you tried to speak your uneven voice would be a dead give away.

The rest of the team was scattered around the jet, either talking quietly or trying to get some sleep. You sat across from Morgan and Reid in your usual spot, the three of you tending to stick together the most out of the team.

"Don't tell me your afraid of flying."

"Wipe that stupid smirk off your face."

Your team was being called in to assist in a case in rural Montana, meaning a long flight on the private jet to get there.

"A BAU agent scared of flying? Now that I've never seen."

"If you think a fear of being 30,000 feet up in the air was going to stop me from my dream job you're an idiot."

Derek crossed his arms, looking to Spencer. "Come on Reid, give us the correct number."

"Actually she's right. The average commercial aircraft flies anywhere between 31 to 38,000 feet high."

"Yanno maybe if you actually listened to Spencer every once in a while you would know that," you stuck your tongue out at Derek, like the mature adult you were.

Just then Hotch came out of the cockpit with the case files at his side, interrupting the harassing between you and Derek.

"Let's go over the case again before we land."

-

The case went about a well as any case did. It always left a sour taste in your mouth accepting any praise for 'a job well done' when there were bodies heading to the morgue, families left to grieve. You'd done your job, but had it been fast enough?

These were just some of the usual thoughts skipping around your head as the team boarded the jet for the ride home.

You claimed your usual seat, already dreading the flight. All you wanted was to relax and allow your mind to process the last couple days. But instead you would have to endure a few more hours of being on edge.

Spencer took a seat a few spaces away from you, eyebrows furrowed as you took in your fingers that were already picking away at the skin.

"Are you okay?"

"I just want to be home and off this stupid plane."

A corner of his lips quirked up in a sympathetic smile. "I get it, me too."

"How do you stand this flying all the time?"

"It bothered me at first, but I grew used to it. Distracting myself helped."

You nodded.

"Did you bring a book? Reading might be a good distraction. If not I have one you could borrow?" Spencer dug into his satchel, pulling out a book and holding it out to you.

You took the book, a smile growing as you realized it was one of your favorites. "I love this book."

Spencer bit at his lip in an attempt to stop himself from blurting out that he already knew that, and that was the sole reason he'd been carrying it around since you mentioned it once in passing a few months ago.

"Thank you Spence, I do think I'll read for a bit."

The doctor ducked his head to hide his triumphant smile. For the first time since the flight started you were able to settle in your seat as you opened the book.

The plane got quiet again as you dove into the book and Spencer pulled out the travel sized chess set he kept on board. This wasn't an unusual sight. Spencer was constantly playing a round of chess against himself, as the team had long given up on trying to play with him.

His plan worked for a while-you were able to distract yourself with some of your favorite literature and before you knew it a half hour had passed. You yawned, closing the book and deciding to take a break. You still had a bit longer to go until you made it back to Quantico, but now you were craving some conversation. You glanced around the plane, noticing that pretty much everyone was now asleep or at least had their eyes closed.

Except Spencer. He was still staring intensely down at his chess board. The sight brought a smile to your lips.

Quietly, you stood from your seat and crossed the plane to sit across from him.

"What do you say, Spence? Down to absolutely destroy me in a match?"

The man looked up at you, surprise apparent on his face. "Finish the book already?"

"No, my eyeballs needed a break. I thought maybe you could teach me to play chess, that way you'll have someone to play against."

Spencer's cheeks flushed. "I don't know, everyone who's tried to play me has-

"Decided that you are most definitely cheating? I know. Derek's mentioned it only a thousand times. But unlike him I can have fun without winning."

He chuckled quietly as he reset the board in front of you. "Don't let him hear you say that. He'll take it very personally."

You took this moment to glance across the plane where you knew Morgan was sitting. He currently had a sleeping mask over his eyes and eye buds in as he snored lightly. Spencer followed your gaze and suddenly the two of you had your hands pressed to your mouths in a pathetic attempt to conceal your giggles.

"I think I can handle him," you finally managed to say after your silent laughter died down.

Spence spent the next couple minutes giving you a rundown of chess rules, what each piece could and couldn't do, etc. You nodded along, listening intently.

"-and that's how you checkmate. Did any of that make sense?"

"Absolutely not....let's play."

"We don't have too, we can play something else-

"Nope! As long as you can handle being annoyed by my billion questions, I can handle fumbling my way through some games til I get the hang of it."

Spencer wanted to state that he didn't think that it was possible for you to annoy him, but instead he bit his lip again and nodded.

"Alright chess master, you get first move."

Spence grinned, leaning forward and tapping his fingers against the table as he began to plot how he could help you win your very first game.

And you could do nothing but smile softly at him, happy to lose again and again as long as you were losing to him.