Is This A Dream? (Imagine #10)

(Y/N) P.O.V.

"Wild hearts run your time has just begun"

Your cell phone sang out the lyrics to Wild Hearts, signaling you had a call waiting to be answered. Lifting your phone off the table, the caller ID read *Unknown*. Confused as hell, you picked up the phone. "Hello?" you asked in a questionable tone.

"Hello, this is the Los Angeles Methodist hospital. Are you in any relation to Mr. Ross Lynch?" the female receptionist asked. Your heart started beating a mile a minute. Why was the hospital calling about Ross?

"Yes, he's my boyfriend," you answered, doing your best to stay calm.

"I'm very sorry but Mr. Lynch has been in a severe car accident. He is currently in surgery-" their voice became inaudible as thoughts raced through your mind. Your phone slipped from your hand and you stared at the wall, tears beginning fall drastically. Snapping back into reality, you grabbed your necessities and rushed to your car. You drove to the hospital in sheer panic.

Barging into the building, you ran to the front desk. "Um, I-I'm here for Ro-Ross Lynch," you stumbled over your words, failing to keep your cool.

"Ah, Mr. Lynch. Let me see what we have in his files," the lady rummaged through her desk as you tapped on the counter rapidly. "Here we are. He is still in surgery. He will be moved to the ICU unit on the third floor once the doctors are finished," she explained in a soothing voice. You nodded rapidly and went to sit in the waiting room.

You sat for hours, bouncing your leg and tapping your fingers on the arm rest. No updates were given on Ross, worrying you more. Instinctively, the worst-case-scenarios started running through your mind. What if he doesn't make it out of surgery? What if he's already dead and the doctors are just finding a way to tell you? "(Y/N)?" a soft voice called, snapping you out of your horrifying thoughts. You looked toward the doorway to see Ross's entire family and Ellington walking into the waiting room. Stormie rushed to you, giving you a warm hug. Tears continued to spill from your eyes. His siblings gave you a somber look, each of them finding a seat. You sat next to Rydel, resting your head on her shoulder.

"Family of Ross Lynch," a nurse called after about another hour. You all stood and huddled around the nurse, anxious to hear the news on Ross. "Ross is out of surgery and is settled into his room. He should be ok, but we have assigned him into the ICU to keep a close eye on him. We are allowing visitors, but only one at a time," she explained. Everyone sighed in relief and a huge weight was lifted off your shoulders. The nurse walked away and the room was once again filled with silence.

"I vote (Y/N) goes first," Rocky blurted, breaking the silence. The rest of Ross's family seemed to agree.

"Are you sure? I mean, you guys are his family."

"But you're his girlfriend. You have a connection with him that none of us would understand," Stormie added, resting a hand on your shoulder. She gave you an assuring look and you nodded in response. You let out a breath and walked towards the elevators. You pressed the third floor button and waited, tapping your foot on the ground. You eventually found the ICU, checked in, and made your way to Ross's room.

When you peeked through the doorway, a breath hitched in your throat as you caught sight of Ross. Bruises laced his entire body and cuts protruded from his face. He was connected to countless wires, one leading to a heart monitor. A low, slow beep echoed off the walls. You finally built the courage to walk towards him, sitting on the chair next to his bed. You grabbed his hand, softly bringing it to your lips. His hand was cold and lifeless.

"Hey," you croaked through tears. You couldn't get another word out before you broke down. You sobbed as you squeezed his hand, wishing he could squeeze yours back.

Suddenly, the beeping from the heart monitor skyrocketed. You looked up at the machine to see the bright line going crazy. Doctors and nurses rushed in, shooing you out of the room. You stood outside the door, not being able to tear your eyes from the chaotic sight. Then, the only sound you never wanted to hear erupted through the havoc. The flat line...

Your knees buckled and you fell to the ground, sobbing harder than you thought imaginable. The doctors tried to use the defibrillators, attempting to bring him back. It was no use, he was already gone.

The pain made it feel as though your heart stopped beating, just like his.

---

You gasped, shooting up in your bed. Dry tears stained your cheeks as you looked to your right. The spot on the bed where Ross slept was empty. Your mind went into a panic, thinking Ross was really gone. You got up and started running through the house. "Ross?!" you screamed as you scanned the top floor of your house.

"(Y/N)?" his voice echoed through the walls of your home. Could it be? You ran down the stairs as fast as you could without falling. The beautiful blonde met you at the bottom of the stairs and you flew into his arms. You sobbed into his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around your waist protectively. "Baby, what happened? Why are you crying?" he questioned, his words laced in confusion.

"I-I had a-a nightmare. You d-died right in front of me a-and i-it was so real," you choked through sobs. After you finished explaining, he held you tighter.

"Hey, it's okay. It was just a dream. I'm right here baby and I'm very much alive," he cooed. Your sobs soon turned into dry whimpers, having no tears left to cry. He pulled back from the hug and pressed his soft lips to your forehead. You have never been so thankful to have him in your company.

"I'm sorry. This is probably really stupid. I'm hysterical over a bad dream," you scoffed.

"Hey, it's okay. I would be the same way if I thought you were gone," he reassured, rubbing soft circles on your back. You sighed and nuzzled back into his neck.

You spent the rest of the day connected to Ross at the hip, reminding yourself he was still with you.