Chapter eight

Chapter eight.

During Jay's third period class, he decided to cut class and just spend some time alone in the hallways. He wasn't alone in the hallways often, so roaming the empty floors felt like a new experience. Plus, it gave him more time to think about Nathan, with whom he was growing increasingly more attached to since the kiss under the tree in the park.

Jay walked down the corridors slowly and quietly as he remembered everything about the morning. Nathan had finally began opening up. It made him happy that, after so much time asking questions and receiving no answers in return, Nathan was beginning to more fully trust him.

As Jay thought about all this, he heard a distant noise coming from around the corner of the corridor he was on. Jay wondered if someone was there, but didn't think too much about it, since he was always hearing and seeing things. It wasn't until he actually rounded the corner that he realized that there was a very real person, specifically Tom Parker.

Tom was crouched in a corner at the other side of the hallway. He was kicking the wall and whispering things angrily.

"Can't you just ever leave me alone? Stupid voices! SHUT UP!" He kicked the wall more as tears began to flow down his cheeks. Jay hid around the corner to watch what this was all about.

"No! Stop telling me what to do! Just... No!!!" He swung at nothing and fell to the floor in a fetal position. He wept and sobbed for a few minutes when Jay decided to sit next to him. Jay suddenly understood. Tom had schizophrenia as well. That explained the daily beatings, the name calling and the protecting of his own reputation. He was trying to cover up his own mental illness.

"Mummy, Lewis, I'm sorry for being a freak", Tom said in between sobs. "I'm sorry for being a disgrace. I d-didn't mean to!"

A few seconds later, he whispered, "I'm so so sorry Jay. I'm so sorry. I wish I could tell you that..."

"Maybe you can", Jay said as he stepped from out of his hiding place. Tom looked shocked and scared for once.

"How long were you standing there?" he asked nervously.

"A few minutes", Jay said truthfully. Tom looked down in shame.

"So now you know. Now you can tell everyone I'm a freak who sees and hears things and has a horrible anger management issue..."

"Tom, I'd never tell anyone something like that. I understand and care for you anyway." He pulled Tom into a tight hug, and Tom buried his face into Jay's chest.

"Jay I'm sorry", he said again.

"It's okay Tom. I get it." Jay rocked back and forth with Tom on his lap. Suddenly, Tom felt a sudden burst of adventure. Without warning, he crashed his lips onto Jay's, the lad who he had been in love with since he had met him in high school. Jay was shocked and surprised at Tom's actions, and certainly did not like them much. He pushed Tom away with all of his strength and yelled, "What the hell, Tom?" Tom looked shocked at his actions, and suddenly felt a change in his personality. See, not only was Tom diagnosed a schizophrenic two years after Jay was, but he was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder, in which his emotions and personality changed as quickly as the world around him. Tom rounded on Jay with a series of kicks and punches to the face, stomach, and back. He hit Jay's face so hard he heard a sickening crack and Jay yelped in extreme pain. That did not stop Tom. What stopped him from killing Jay was a brown haired boy with big green eyes. He yanked Tom back and flung him across the room. Tom landed with a horrible thud and did not get up again. Nathan picked up Jay wedding style and carried him to his own room to treat his wounds.

As Jay was out, Nathan said whilst stroking his cheek softly and running the pad of his thumb across his face, "Jay, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me. Thank you for changing my life with yours."

At that moment, though Nathan did not have much, he felt like the luckiest lad on earth, having someone like Jay to care for so deeply that everything, even his own life, was beginning to revolve around Jay McGuiness.

Written by @chasing_TW.