25- Setbacks

We spend another awkward half hour at the coffee shop. Clara doesn't even speak a word to me, she hardly even glances in my general direction. She just casually talks to Brendon about touring while I doodle randomly on my refill. I don't see the point of trying to be involved in the conversation. Clara is annoyed that I didn't come to her for help. I went to someone that I've known for a few weeks instead of my best friend that I've known for years. I just didn't think.

"Well, I'm guessing you guys have to get back to the shop" Brendon assumes once he finishes off his second drink. "Penelope you can have the rest of the day off, it's a slow day anyway," Clara says plainly once she stands up and pays. Harsh. She used my full name. I don't think she's done that since the day we met.

I nod and she walks off without another word. Brendon and I both stand in shock. Even though he hasn't known Clara for that long, he could tell she was annoyed. "I'm sorry for bringing that up, I didn't know that she didn't know" Brendon apologises again. It's not Brendon's fault. It's mine. I should of at least mentioned it to her.

I start heading in the direction of my apartment. Brendon silently follows. The silence between us is more awkward and tense than usual. And I can't do anything to fix that

Once we reach my apartment Brendon finally speaks. "Do you want me to come in?" He asks quietly. I nod and he follows me in.

I sit down and pull out my phone. 'I don't know if I want to do this anymore' I type. It could just be Clara's reaction that's making me have second thoughts. "No! You can't do that. The longer you wait the harder it will be" Brendon pleads. "Yes Clara seemed upset but you can't let her stop you from this" Brendon adds realising that Clara was the reason for me questioning whether I wanted this. 'I think we should stop, at least until everything is sorted between Clara and I' I reply. I don't like upsetting Clara after all she's done for me.

"If you think that's right for you then sure, message me when you want my help again, " Brendon says clearly annoyed at me changing my mind. He stands up and goes to walk out when I grab his arm to stop him. 'This doesn't mean we can't see each other until then, I still want you to be my music teacher' I quickly type before he leaves. "Yeah sure, just not today" He mutters before walking out of my apartment.

Great

I've annoyed two of the closest people to me with the same problem. And maybe just lost my best friend in the process.

At least I still have Josh. Wel, I think I do.