33- Clumsiness

As soon as we sit down at the restaurant I realised I still don't have my phone on me. It's still sitting on the kitchen counter, I can picture it clearly. The nerves build up in my stomach as I start to realise I have no way to communicate with any of the people in front of me unless I actually speak. I'm not ready for that yet. 

I quietly slip my hand across to Josh's phone and tap on the screen until I get his attention. He looks confused as to what I'm trying to tell him. I unlock his phone and go to notes, trying not to accidentally find something weird on his phone. 'I left my phone at home, I need to run back and get it' I manage to type out quickly and hand it back. Josh's face changes from confusion to understanding. 

He looks at me and smiles before interrupting Tyler who was talking about one of their recent concerts when he fell into the crowd accidentally. "Tyler, don't like to interrupt you dude, but we gotta quickly run back to Penny's" Josh explains for me. Tyler and Clara both smile and continue with their conversation. They seem to get along well, very well...

Josh didn't need to come with me, it's only a few blocks away. I can handle myself for that long. 

"I didn't want to be third wheeling Tyler and Clara. Honestly, I think Tyler has a crush on her. The whole time we were gone he couldn't stop talking about you, but then I was always talking about you" He mumbles the end, seeming slightly embarrassed. To be honest it was actually kind of cute. It seemed like he was admitting to a crush, maybe he was?

Not long later we both arrive back at my front door. I knew exactly where my phone was sitting, on the kitchen bench where I left it, like an idiot. 

I pick it up and go to clear the notifications from Tyler's frantic text messages of wondering where we were when I see that my phone is low on battery. Like 3% low. 

Josh follows me as I walk upstairs to charge it, even if it's for only a few minutes. Tyler and Clara can wait. I think they'd like it better actually. 

"Well," Josh starts, not really knowing what to say. He's not usually speechless. He always has some random story or joke to tell. Why's now any different?

 I grab my notepad and start to ask him what's wrong. "Nothing I'm just thinking about Tyler and Clara" He smiles sadly. 'Aww is my lil Joshy boo jealous' I write out. "Pfft no, I was just thinking that if he gets a girlfriend he will spend less time with me" Josh pouts while sitting down in the middle of my floor. 'So jealousy'

I laugh slightly and join him on my floor. 'I'll always be here for you when Tyler ditches you for my best friend' I scribble down quickly and messily. 

"Tyler thinks I like you, I think he likes Clara" He states plainly with a straight face. Now I'm speechless. How does one even respond to that? Other than agreeing with Tyler liking Clara, and I'm pretty sure it's not one sided. They have a lot in common. Even before we met them she was always talking about how adorable and sweet he was. She's sure to fall for him sooner or later if she hasn't already.

"He's right though" Josh whispers, barely loud enough for me to hear. I'm even sure if I heard him rightly. That can't be right.

I look up at him confused. "You heard that?" He asked again sounded embarrassed with letting that slip out. I nod, still myself confused at whether I'm imaging this whole conversation. "And?" He asks for my opinion. I go to answer when I'm interrupted by a text notification.

At first, I ignore it, but when it is followed by many more I'm forced to get up and answer the damn texts. Of course, it's Tyler being concerned and wondering why we're taking so long. 'Dude we were having a moment, chill your beans. We'll be back soon' I quickly text back before walking back to Josh, who looked kind of sad at how this was turning out. 

Me being the clumsy ass person I am, somehow manage to trip over my phone cord. I land harshly on my stomach. I roll onto my back and let out a sound that is a mix of a cry and laugh. Does live just hate me? Why did I have to be born one of the clumsiest people on earth? It ruined the moment. 

"Penny! Are you okay!" Josh rushes over to my side. At this point, I'm laughing and not even bothered by the pain anymore. I nod and look up into his eyes. He looks genuinely concerned until he notices me laughing. "You're an idiot" He laughs looking down at the now flustered and blushing me. I smile and agree. 

I sit up, now being eye level as Josh. Well as close as I can get with my short height. "So you're really okay?" He double checks. I smile and nod. It's not the first time I've tripped over that cord, there's just not usually anyone there to witness my clumsiness.

"So well" Josh starts, going back to being awkward again. "We should head back" He finishes while sighing. 

It's now or never.

"Josh" I croak out. "I-I like you as well" I stutter slightly, not being used to the sound of my own voice. "You do?" He questions and I nod in response. 

I go to stand up but instantly fall straight back down. "Here, " Josh says before giving me a hand up. Apparently, the universe hasn't had enough fun of making me look like a dork as I stumble and almost fall on Josh. 

"You are very clumsy" Josh laughs, holding me in his arms to stop me from somehow falling again. "Tha-anks" I stutter out, my throat starting to hurt from talking. 

I look up at Josh and see him looking down at me. I blush and look away. "Hey, don't hide from me!" he laughs softly while placing his hand on my cheek to make me look him in the eyes. The softness in his brown eyes is alluring, the messy yellow hair which is being covered casually by a beanie. He looks like a highlighter, but an attractive highlighter

"Can I?" He asks, still looking me straight in the eyes. I bite my lip lightly and nod, only guessing what he's meaning. As I expected, he places his lips on mine. They're soft yet firm, he's gentle yet not. It doesn't make sense but it doesn't need to.

He both pull away smiling. "Wow" He responds quietly. Wow indeed. "I've been wanting to do that for a while" He laughs. 

The moment is interrupted again by Josh getting a call. He lazily puts it on speaker phone after seeing it was Tyler. "Josh, where are you guys?! You have been gone for so long" Tyler laughs nervously. "Don't worry dude, we're on our way back now" Josh replies smiling back at me. I blush and walk over to grab my phone. 

Maybe my clumsiness isn't that bad after all.