Task Six: Balancing the Scales

"Is that what I think it is?"

The professor nodded grimly. "Indeed. The text is quite clear- there are only two ways to pass through the next area of the Underworld: through either the Demon Lands or the Field of Reeds-that is to say, the land of the dead."

Fatima made a face and poured herself another cup of coffee. "Based on how things are going so far, I imagine that neither option is particularly pleasant. Look at what happened to that Lucius character in the House of Rest."

"Oh, quite the contrary. Little is known about the Demon Lands, but Egyptian writings of this period were quite specific about the delights of the Field of Reeds. It is said to be a place where all that was lost is returned; the righteous dead can find once again every joy in they possessed in life."

She raised an eyebrow. "I sense a 'but' coming. What's the mural say?"

The professor gazed at the photo somewhat sheepishly. "But... the inhabitants of the land of the dead are, well, dead. And no one may enter without passing through the Hall of Two Truths for judgment. According to the text, Osiris was absent and busy battling demon uprisings in the land of the living. Only Anubis and Ammit remained- neither of whom are comforting figures for the living."

Fatima glanced at the professor, the photo, and back again. She took a seat and swallowed another mouthful of coffee.

"What are we waiting for, then? This just got interesting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

-Your tribute has a choice to make. The first option: Enter the Hall of Two Truths and allow Anubis to weigh their heart against the Feather of Truth. If your heart is heavy with sin, it will weigh more than the Feather and be devoured by Ammit. You will promptly cease to exist. If your heart is sufficiently light, however, you will be able to enter Aaru, the Field of Reeds, a place which may conservatively be termed paradise.

-The second option: Don't like your odds in the Hall of Judgment? You don't have to take the chance. If you prefer, there is another way to go deeper into the Underworld- however, to get there, you must go around the border of the Field of Reeds. A small warning: it isn't called the Demon Lands because of the accommodating, friendly disposition of the inhabitants.

-The results of your choice will matter for the next task! Choose wisely...

Kills: Two ballots. Five tributes will go up for votes this round; three will be eliminated.

Due Date: Sunday, December 4 at 10 PM EST