Thirty Five - Heads or Tails

KARA

           “Loving someone is such an inherently dangerous act. And yet, love, that’s where safety lives.”

Siguro baliw na talaga ako. My sleep last night was constantly and mercilessly interrupted by clear-cut images of yesterday’s unexpected KISSES replaying over and over like a broken reel.

From my boldness down to Qen asking me if he could court me. I felt my face blush and a warm feeling coursed through my body as I remembered everything that happened afterward.

“Kara?” Jared had asked, shooting me a quizzical look.

“Ha? Ah, sorry! Sorry! Medyo sabaw lang.”

“Did something happen? Your mind is off to somewhere ata?”

“Nope… wala lang to.”

WALA LANG NA NAG-KISS LANG NAMAN KAMI NI QEN!

“Okay, why don’t you start from here?” sabi sa akin ni Jared habang ginuguide ako for venipuncture.

“No,no, no. You’re not supposed to draw out the needle once na-insert na sa arm ng patient..” says Jared as he watches over me perform the venipuncture. Actually we’ve been doing this last year pa, but because we’re going to be interns soon and we were required to attend a seminar like this. And Jared, being the best among them, volunteered as my ‘instructor’ for the time being. (eh kasi fail ako pag ganitong practical)

“Here, let me…” sabi nya. I draw out the syringe tapos Teddy winced out in pain. “Tangina Kars, pwede dahan-dahan?” I laughed a little.

“I am never going to get this.”

Jared raised his eyebrows, “You are. Andito naman ako e, I will help you.”

Tapos Teddy began to laugh and sneer. “Halaaaa, naglandian naman na sa harap ko, isumbong ko kaya kayo para mademerit kayo!” feeling a little uncomfortable with his teasing, tinadyakan ko sya para hindi makita ni Jared tapos Teddy groaned once again.

“Okay, I’ll stop.” He whispered when he was sure Jared was out of our little world.

Pinagrest muna namin si Teddy for some time, and then Jared came over to start the procedure.  He didn’t explain the basics, I just watched him do it since I have already memorized it by heart. Once he inserted the needle, he made sure I’ll be able to remember all those tips he was saying.

“You’re supposed to keep an angle tapos di ba, you have to push the lever once you see blood is filling up the bottom part? Pero if you still don’t see blood there, you need to adjust the angle of the needle carefully so you’ll be able to take some blood..” he said but instead of watching him maneuver the syringe, I found myself staring at him. Ngayon ko lang napansin that he had really chinky eyes, tapos when he concentrates, mas nagiging singkit pa to. And may habit syang kagatin yung lips which I  found, uhmm, a little sexy. 

“Jared, I think you’re eyes are really beautiful.”

OH SHIT KARA.  Did I just say that outloud? OMYFREAKIGNGOD.  You did not just say that..

Jared’s quizzical look changed into one of amusement. The corners of his lips turned slightly upward, and a simper started dancing across his lips, to poke fun at me, no doubt. Then, out of nowhere, I felt a sudden, unexpected soft flick on my forehead.