One - The Beginning of the End

KARA

                                      "Once upon a time, I didn’t give a damn."

 “OWEMJI! What were you thinking, Karina?! Si Mario Maurer na yan, pinaglapas mo pa!” Harlem shouted from the backseat, her eyes glued on a certain page of a magazine where pictures of Mario and I were posted.

“Oo nga. That guy is madly in love with you! Sayang! Jacob added.  “Big time yun Kars!”

“But seriously Kars, why won’t you let him in? Come on, personality wise, he’s beyond okay. Plus he’s good-looking. Anyare?” My fingers drummed against the steering wheel, something I do when I was at loss for words.

“Basta!”

“Anong basta? Kara, ano ka ba! Love makes the world go round!” Harlem chidded.

“Love? Some need it, some don't. I had a far better reason.” Harlem found it funny, or insulting, maybe even both, but my words were sincere.

“Ano ka ba 'teh!Wag nega. Everybody wants it so much!”

“And why is that?”

“Because it’s the closest thing we have to magic, you know.” I turned to look at Harlem, gave it some thought before returning my gaze to the road ahead, my lips set in a thin line.

There was once a time in my life when I felt and thought that I knew what love was, but I never thought it would light fire to my heart and burn it.  I believe it existed--- Yes. Just more times than not, and I found out that it's not what it seems to be and what seems to be love just isn't.

There’s a huge chance you think I’m being irrational. But don't get me wrong, I am far from being a traumatized love-sick damsel in distress scarred from the experience and bent on world abomination of love. I have my own reasons.

Siguro it took us 35 minutes to get at the airport.Thankfully our heated debated about love ended before I considered throwing them out of my car.