Forty Two - Memories

VIO

“It’s not the length of time we knew someone that makes them so special. It’s what they brought into our lives.” —Sandra Kring, A Life of Bright Ideas

“Will they be okay?” A worried expression was visible on Ava’s face. Somehow, di ko maiwasang hindi matuwa. They only met 4 months ago, pero it’s as if she’s always been part of our group. They enjoyed each other’s company and bonded like sisters and all my worries before, parang mga bulang biglang nawala. Kanina nga, all of them were teasing and hugging her because finally daw, may little sister na sila sa group. Kahit si Qen and Jake natutuwa sa kanya. I had to step in because Ava was beet red already. 

“I hope so..” sabi ko. After kasi naming malaman na Jake has a retrograde amnesia, hindi naman alam kung paano mag-rereact. Although it felt really good na he’s alive, syempre masakit pa rin sa amin na that was his price for being safe. I couldn’t imagine what Harlem and Kim must be feeling right now. Ang complicated kasi nung kinalalagyan nila tapos mas lalo pang gumulo! Sana gumaling na pinsan ko so I could knock some sense into him. Kung maaga lang nya kasing na-realize na mahal nya si Harlem. Geez.

“Dapat sinamahan mo muna sila.”

“They both want and need time to be alone e.”

“Sabagay...” Her voice faltered. At bigla kong na-realized that we were in a confined place, kami lang yung tao dito sa pool and because neither of us won’t talk after that, the silence was deafening. That’s when I knew I had to break the ice.

 “About dun sa Sage?” I began, as Ava momentarily brought her head up and looked at me and then back at the water. She was sitting on the edge of the pool while I was inside the water. “Wala yun. Okay lang yun.”

 Tapos umahon ako sa pool at tumabi sa kanya. “No! That is not okay!” I blurted out, and she looked at me in surprise. It was only when I realized how close we were. Ava's eyes were sparkling, allowing the light of the pool to hit her face animatedly as she continued doubling over with a forced laughter—might as well add it.

I tried to keep myself composed, but it was getting harder and harder for me do that especially when she angled her face away, allowing strands of her hair to fall across her face. Nakatulala lang ako sa kanya. Now, the urge to tuck her hair and kiss her is getting the best of me.

SELF-CONTROL VIO. Self-contr— “May dumi ba sa mukha ko?” She asked, words coming out of her mouth in slow motion. Self-control. “Alam ko na. Gusto mo akong halikan no?”

WHAT ANONG.

How?

“Hindi no. Merong dumi sa mukha mo.” She glared at me. And I smirked. Irritated, she started to reach up to her face to pry away the “dirt” I was referring to just as my hand latched on her wrist.

Before she knew it, we were already at the edge of the pool and Ava was screaming. “ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!Vio… Vio.. Hindi ako marunong lumangoy. Vio… Vio… Ayoko na please.”