Four - Smiley Hearts

Kimberly Suarez

                                      "I have learned that to be with those I like is enough."

I was flipping through the pages of my Looking for Alaska book when I noticed a coffee just beside my pencil case.

“Ahemm..”

I looked up and found a smiling Jake standing behind me with the same food and drink in his hands. I reached out and picked up the iced coffee while looking at him with a questionable look.

“Is this for me?” I asked.

“Hindi, hindi. Para dyan sa katabi mo yan.” He said sarcastically.

“It’s for you.” Sabay bawi nya.

Ay, malay ko ba. -_____-^

“I dropped by at Starbucks a while ago. Tas naisip kita and then, boom!” He said before walking towards a vacant seat and sitting down.  “And besides, I know you’d be reading instead of eating. Kaya ayan.” He says once again, pointing the sandwhich and the coffee.

“Ikaw na thoughtful! Thank you ha!”

“Basta ikaw.”

“Actually, I was hiding from Kara. Lagot ako dun e.”

“Ah yeah.” He replied, “Pati sila Vio, natatakot nga e. I mean, kilala mo naman yun. She can be like Anabelle Rama sometimes. Katakot.”

“Oo nga e! Hahaha!”

“Teka, ano ba yang binabasa mo?” he asked with his ever so deep voice as I stared down at the page full of black printed words. “Kahit sa apartment nagbabasa ka pa rin. You really,really,really like to read huh?”

I lifted my head and looked into his plain brown eyes before nodding. It was the first time Jake asked those question. Tignan mo nga naman o, observant pala sya. :D

“Ayyy, hindi. Hindi ko like ang magbasa.” I teased, trying to get back at him. Kala nya sya lang marunong mambara ha!

“-__-”

“Yeah, I like to read.” I said..

He smiled. 

Then, before I could take the smile into memory, Jake turned back to the window and stared outside at the fading blue sky. I found my own fingers tracing the black inked words on the page unconsciously as I watched him stare outside. What exactly was he looking at I was not sure but I liked the fact that I could look in the same direction and glimpse an image of what he might have been seeing.