Eighteen - The Waiting Game

VIO

         People need to understand that no one is playing with marked cards; sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

“Dude, please. Bigay mo na kasi number ni Kara.” I didn’t know whether to laugh or not. I knew he was genuinely serious about getting Kara’s cellphone number but the way he pleaded like a child was just so comical. “Tangna naman neto o. Damot.” He added when I ignored him.

“Vio!Ano ba!Lintek.” I chuckled, playfully bonking him on the head.

“Ulul. Ikaw pa may gana magmura ha! Hahaha.”  It was akin to seeing the smoothest and the most wicked guy (when it comes to girls) begging for something.

“Sige na kasi. Langya naman eto o.”

“Why don’t you get it from her?” His dark eyebrows burrowed together as his jaw jutted out. “You know I can’t!”

“Dude, you don’t know hard it was for me to keep up with guys who ask for Kara’s number. There was a time pa nga when a guy threatened me to kill himself if I don’t give Kara’s number to her. Dadagdag ka pa!”

“So, you mean,” At this comment, Qen shook his head disbelieving. “Kelangan takutin muna kita? Gags neto! Bigay mo na kasi. Tae. Bwisit neto.” I laughed, finding this side of him so un-Qen. Patawa amputa.

“O, eto na.” Sabay abot dun sa phone ko. “Basta wag mong sabihin ako nagbigay ha?”

The edge of his lips quirked upwards. He gave me a chiding yet lighthearted look. “Labyou tol! Thankyouuuuuu!” and with that, he left with a grin plastered on his face. Tangina. Ambading. EVER.

It was nice to see Qen making an effort para bumawi kay Kara. Guess, I’d be singing ‘Muling Ibalik’ in the coming days.

“Makapagsimula na nga. Istorbo talaga 'tong si Qen.”

I fidgeted on the couch while I placed my laptop on the side and nearly jumped when my cellphone rang. Thinking it was Harlem, I picked it up addressing her, “Harlem? What happened last night? Both of you weren’t answering your phones! Di na namin nahintay yung food so we just slept.”

“Vio?” Her voice came over the line, uncertain and wired.

I paused, sitting up on the couch. “K – Kay?”

“Yeah,” she replied. Her voice sounded muffled over the phone. “Can – Can we talk right now?”

“Uhm..” I looked down at the empty page of my MS Word document. “I’m sort of busy e. Kelangan ko pang tapusin yung report ko about the history of Archi.”

“Oh,” her voice sounded disappointed. I wanted to say, must’ve hurt ano? Na ikaw naman ngayong ang ma-ignore at hindi bigyan ng time.

“Why? Is it serious ba?”

I heard Kay’s hesitation. But, then she finally decided, “I’ll call you later.”

I was kind of expecting this kaya siguro hindi na rin ako na-disappoint, although I was hurt. I wanted to shout at her. Tangina Kay, ano ba problema? But decided it wasn’t the best idea.

“Okay.” Then she hung up.

I stared at my phone with Kay as my wallpaper and I became extremely sad. The sad, depression-like feeling overwhelmed me. Too bad she doesn't know how anxious she makes me feel nowadays. I missed us, I missed the old us. I missed the old Kay who makes my day feel so right. K