Seventeen - The Tell-Tale Heart

KIM

            We all have that one secret that can break someone’s heart.

“Kim,tignan mo o.” sabay turo ni Pauline dun sa matangkad na lalake sa tabi ng emergency room. “Oh, bakit?”

“Grabe. KJ neto.” She tells me, her eyes focused on the figure standing beside the head nurse.

“Hindi a. Uy, ayusin mo kaya trabaho mo.” I told her while trying to help her organize the papers which are needed for our completion in our subject.

“Sus!” She said and rolled her eyes at me. :| Pauline’s my childhood friend not the best friend kind pero the kind of friend who grew up with you so basically we just knew each other too well. Medyo nahiwalay lang kami nung patapos na kami nung HS and everything just sort of fell apart. Our first few years in college didn’t help us rekindle our friendship. Parang wala lang, though we say hi and hello, hinde na katulad ng dati na close na close kai. But she’s the still the same as ever----- mataray, maarte, btchy, tsaka magaling magpahiya. I knew that she hated me still for ‘leaving them’ but she didn’t have to pretend as though we’re still friends!!!!

“Ampogi nya.” -___- Lahat naman pogi sa kanya.

“I heard he’s from UP. Now, that’s a great catch Kim. Matalino na, pogi pa. Where can you get a guy like that diba?” Tas umiling-iling sya saken, “Pero sabagay, meron ka na nga palang Jake Araneta so definitely, he’s the only gwapo in your eyes.” She tells me in a matter-of-fact tone, I don’t get it why she effin needs to emphasize by quoting Jake’s name. Inggit lang?! Epal. >.<

“Tumigil ka nga Pauline.” Pauline can be so annoying sometimes! Gah! Scratch that. PAULINE IS FCKING ANNOYING. -_____-

“Pero seryoso,” she says as though she was thinking really hard about something. “I thought you liked Qen? What happened? Ba’t ka nagpapaligaw kay Jake?” She frowned and it looked so fake to me, it was more like mocking me in a way. This btch.

“Kaya mo sinagot si Kevin Soriano is because you’re hoping that you’d be able to forget him pero wala rin nangyari di ba? You broke up with him, well, because of Qen. Kaya nga galit na galit yung tao dun di ba?” I looked around with shifty eyes, making sure that no one could eavesdrop on us. What the hell Pauline!!!! :|

“And now, don’t tell me you’re gonna use JAKE?!”

I moved away from her and glared. “Pwede ba, Pauline. That’s nonsense. Jake is a good guy and about Qen--- Ah. Will you just drop it?!” I yelled and looked away as my response to her accusing glare.

“Nonsense ka dyan. Oh, Come on, Kim. We’re not friends for nothing. I know how that little mind of yours works.”

“Oo nga pala, why is he here? I thought he was from a different department?” I asked, hoping this conversation would take a new turn.

“Gosh. Whatever happened to you? Ang galing mag-change ng topic. ” Pauline replied with a gusty sigh, rolling her eyes. “Well, I heard, ni-recommend sya ng doctors and head nurses sa Pediatrics. Mas maganda daw na dito na lang daw sya sa may Cardiology department since he seemed to know every detail when it comes to matters of the heart.” I looked at him with pure admiration. Grabe naman.  He must be really smart. SA UP NGA SYA KIM DI BA, SA UP. -.- Tas student nurse pa. Ohkamon.

“Shit. I think he’s coming here.” Pauline said and then bit her lower lip. The thing she does para lang mapansin! =_________=

“Uhm, excuse me.” The guy finally said. He has a cold voice but soothing in ears nonetheless. It suits him well.