16

Chapter Sixteen

The last bell of the day rang all through school from the intercom, releasing us students from our classes. I exited the classroom, weaving my way through the crowd of anxious teenagers, who were more than ready to get out and go home.

          I arrived at my locker and began spinning the dial on the lock. It popped open, and I stuffed my books inside. Thrusting my bag onto my shoulder, I was just closing the locker door when there was a sudden whisper in my ear.

"Boo."

I jumped and turned around to see Logan standing behind me with his hands stuffed into the front pockets of his jeans and a goofy grin plastered on his face. Glaring at him playfully, I reached up and punched his arm.

"Ow!" He laughed, rubbing his arm in pain. "What was that for?"

"For being a jerk, that's what it was for."

He laughed and threw his arm onto my shoulders casually, pulling me into his side. "You know you love me."

"That's where you're wrong." I muttered as we started walking down the hallway. I couldn't ignore the looks being thrown my way from the girls walking past us. I suddenly wished Logan would move his arm from my shoulders.

As we walked down the hallway, I spotted Faith putting her books into her locker. I nudged Logan with my elbow, motioning over to Faith. She spotted us as she was closing her locker and smiled.

"Hey!" I greeted with a grin.

Her eyes flickered down to Logan's arm on my shoulders before meeting my eyes again. "Hey," She greeted back, smiling. "Hey, Logan," She said, turning her attention to him. He responded with a smile and a nod of his head.

"Oh," I said,  "I was thinking maybe we could hang out later today or even tomorrow?"

"Yeah, definitely," Faith grinned. "I'll text you to tell you when."

"Okay, I'll see you later, then?" I asked while Logan and I started walking away.

"Yeah," she replied and waved goodbye.

I sneaked a glance at Logan as we strolled down the hall and noticed a small smile on his lips.

          "What?" I asked curiously.

          He peered down at me, his smile growing larger. "I'm just.. I don't know. I'm proud, I guess?"

          "Of what?" I laughed.

          We walked through the doors of our school and down the steps, onto the sidewalk. I noticed the girls in Kacey's little group looking at Logan and I as he moved his arm from my shoulders.

          I knew they were thinking I wasn't anyone Logan should be hanging out with, but I brushed it off, and waited for Logan to explain.

          "You're progressing with everything, with the plan and all. You couldn't even make eye contact with anyone before, and now look at you, making plans with friends and everything." He said, nudging my arm playfully.

          I smiled shyly, feeling my cheeks flush.

          "Speaking of the plan," he said, "I have the next step figured out."

          We followed the sidewalk that lead us to my house, finally walking off campus.

          "What is it?"