Chapter 9 : Mask Off

A/N: Hi!!!! It's been soooooooooo long!!!!!!!! Sorry for the super late update!!!!! I'm a 10th grader now and I don't have time!!!! Here's chapter 9! Please enjoy!!!

"So, how come Hinami-chan got a date like him?" Asked Hide. They were walking down the street to the party place, which was the Great Hall of their school. "Well, I'm not really sure about that. Saiko-chan? Miza-chan?" Kaneki said, looking at the two.

"Well, she was going with Kirishima-san, but just yesterday that Shikigami Takashi asked Hinami-chan to be his date, and all the girls went nuts, since Shikigami is really, really popular in our school." Said Saiko, and Miza sighed and looked down.

"And I stirred her up to accept his request. At first I thought it'd be better for Hinami-chan because if she didn't say yes she'd be bullied and picked on for the rest of her days at the school. But I was wrong. It didn't make it better, it worsened the situation." Said Miza. "The girls wanted to go with Shikigami so badly that they lost their minds. They kept blocking her at corners of bathrooms, and we had to form a circle around her to keep those nutters away." Said Kurona. Kaneki, Touka, and the others' mouths were slightly open.

"And that's not it. Hinami-chan is really popular among the boys too, and some came blocking her way like those crazy fan girls, and Hinami-chan's had a really bad day." Nashiro finished the last part. They were silent for about a minute, and Hide broke the silence. "Poor poor Hinami-chan." He said, and peeked at Ayato.

He didn't make a noise while they walked, and didn't show any unhappiness when they said Hinami chose Shikigami instead of him. "Well, anyway, Kaneki-niichan, Hinami-chan'll come to find you and go find Kirishima-san. That's the excuse she'll make to get rid of him. So if Shikigami-kun comes and asks where she's gone to you'd better make a good excuse for her." Said Saiko, tugging Kaneki's sleeve.

"Okay, roger that." Said Kaneki, nodding.

Hinami--

Hinami got off the car as soon as it stopped, and Shikigami got off as well as he parked his car. Soon they became the center of attention again, and Hinami was trying to hide from all those glares and frowns and gazes, but Shikigami seemed to be enjoying this. "Well, Hinami-chan, let's get inside." Shikigami said as he grabbed her hand. Hinami's eyebrow twitched, but she quickly told herself to stay calm.

"Just hold it a little longer, and you can go find the others." She told herself in her mind again and again while her hand was in his grip. "Ah, the decoration is wonderful." Shikigami said when they entered the Great Hall. "T-Thanks." Hinami merely said, not looking at him.

"Well, we arrive early. Why not we start this off with a smooth dance?" Shikigami said, holding out his hand, waiting Hinami to take it. "Fine..." She muttered unwillingly, and they went to the dance floor.

The DJ was playing Love Story by Taylor Swift. "Great, perfect song for a situation like this." Hinami thought bitterly. The two started dancing slowly in circle. Some girls were staring at them jealously, and some boys were too.

"You're beautiful." Said Shikigami all of a sudden. "U-Uh, t-thanks..." Hinami said, a bit taken aback. "Feel free to leave at any moment." He said, looking at her. "As long as you're being a good girl." He added in a whisper. "This's a free country!" Hinami retorted, looking at him now. "Yeah, I know. But freedom can be controlled, can be manipulated, can even be bought by money." He said, still in a whisper.

Just as the song stopped, Hinami pulled herself away from him with so much force that she almost fall down. "Please don't talk to me like that again." She said, and turned away. "I'm going somewhere else. Don't try to follow me." She said, and walked off without looking back.