Chapter 7

Baekhyun

I walk with Taehyung to a fried chicken store to eat after school. I had no appetite to eat after hearing Stephanie say Mary liked Xiumin.

Out of all people, it had to be Xiumin. There's nothing wrong with Xiumin or anything but I know he isn't interested in her. Everyone knows he likes Truc and everyone knows that Truc likes him back. I don't want her to be heartbroken. I know she'll end up heartbroken. She's blindly in love with him to notice anything else.

Taehyung and I sit a booth at the back and read the menu. I stare at the menu with a blank face still thinking about what had happened earlier. I was still worried about Mary and how she was doing after she fainted.

"You should just get over it," I look up and see Taehyung looking at me.

"How can I?" I say with a sigh. I sit back and look around the restaurant.

This was one of the only fried chicken stores around here and was highly recommended by my friend, Chanyeol who happens to work here. He would every now and give us discounts for the food here and would invite us but we usually wouldn't go. I at the other end of the store and see him serving a family some chicken. He smiles to them and tells them to enjoy their food. Why can't my life look as easy as his?

"We all know she won't end up with Xiumin so why fuss over it. Everyone knows that Truc and Xiumin are going to end up together," He says and waves his hand for Chanyeol to take our order.

"Hey, what do you guys wanna order?" Chanyeol says and pulls out his notepad.

"One original and one barbeque one," Taehyung says.

"Drinks?" he says tiredly and looks at Taehyung.

"2 cans of coke," he says. Chanyeol nods and leaves.

Soon after, he comes back and sits next to me.

"So, how've you two been?" Chanyeol says and looks at the two of us.

"I'm doing well but Baekhyun here is having some girl trouble," Taehyung says and points at me. I glare at him and look at Chanyeol whose eyebrows are raised.

"That Mary girl?" he says and Taehyung and I both nod.

"Ah, I see. You confessed and she rejected you?" he says and we both shake our heads.

"Nah, we found out who she likes," Taehyung says.

"Whoa really? How?" Chanyeol says with a shocked expression.

"You know my cousin, Stephanie? The one who used to like you," he says and Chanyeol slightly nods.

Back last year, Stephanie had transferred to our school and developed a crush on Chanyeol who was her senior. She had confessed to Chanyeol later on the year but he sadly rejected her because he was currently dating another girl who he later broke up with because he found out that she was cheating on him with one his classmates. He was extremely upset about it and the only person who comforted him was Stephanie. We think he likes Stephanie but every time we ask him he denies it.

"Who does she like?" Chanyeol says and I sigh.

"Xiumin," I say and his eyes widen.

"Isn't he best friends with that Truc girl in your grade?" he says and we both nod. "Truc's sister owns this place."

We're both shocked but before we could ask Chanyeol more questions, his boss tells him to get back to work. He later returns with our food and drinks and leaves. Taehyung starts to eat but I sit there just staring at the food.

"Eat up. You have a long week ahead of you," Taehyung says as he bites into his first chicken.

I take a piece of chicken and eat it. It tastes really nice. I can now see why so many people recommended this place.

Once we finish, we both pay for the food and go home. I start walking home and I see Hoseok walk into a bubble tea store. I ignore it and continue walking home. The sky soon starts to rain, getting heavier by the minute and I start running home, hoping not to get wet.

I reach my house and go straight to my bedroom to dry up so that I wouldn't get sick. I sit on a chair and do some of homework so that the time would go faster and that I could forget everything that happened today. I sigh, giving up, I can't stop thinking about what happened today.

****

I waited at my bus stop the next morning with tired eyes. I waited by a store wall and leaned my head on it. I saw Xiumin standing at a pole near the stop with Mary. I can faintly hear their conversation and I stand there staring at the two with jealous yet sad eyes. I look away and look at the concrete floor.

"Can I meet you after school, here?" I hear him say. I quickly look up and look at the two. Are they that close? I didn't know he was close with her. I watch in jealously as she blushes and smiles, wishing that I was the one to cause her to be embarrassed from a few words.

"Sure," she says. I hear the bus and I quickly get onto the bus along with the other people.
I sit in my seat and look out the window with sad eyes.

Why must everything be so complicated?