Chapter 33

Baekhyun

I grabbed the tripod from the shelf and watched as Namjoon, a classmate of mine did the same. We both came out of the room at the same time but I was surprised when I saw him walking over to Mary. I bit my lip as I watched Mary smile at him and walk out of the classroom. Hoseok came up behind me and patted my shoulder and we both left the room.

We began to walk out to the grass area where we also saw Namjoon and Mary. I tried to calm myself down and took deep breaths. We set out our equipment on the other side but I kept looking over at them. I couldn't focus. I nearly dropped the camera when I looked up from the tripod. Namjoon had wrapped his arms around Mary. He was whispering in her ear and was tapping buttons on the camera. I didn't know what to do. I was holding onto the camera tightly and tried to take deep breaths.

"You're going to break the camera if you keep holding it like that," Hoseok suddenly says to me but I don't move. I just keep glaring at the view in front of me. Why would he suddenly do such odd thing like that out of nowhere? If looks could kill.

I didn't realise I was walking over to them until I stood right in front of their camera. Mary looked up at me with still flustered cheeks and looked slightly annoyed. Her eyes widened when she saw me. I turned to Namjoon who had a puzzled expression and shot a deathly glare at him. I couldn't control myself, I was beyond angry. I was jealous.

Hoseok ran after me and asked me something that I wasn't paying attention to. I dragged Mary away from the two and went to an empty hallway to talk to her.

Every word that came out of my mouth was coming out like word vomit. I couldn't stop myself, everything seemed like it was being controlled by something else. I wished I never said anything in the first place. Her eyes were filled with tears that were caused by me. The guilt and regret when she yelled at me but it was too late to change anything, I had blurted out the stupidest thing ever.

"Because I like you!" I wish I could take back everything. I wanted my confession to be worth remembering, this was the worse. Her jaw slightly dropped and I turned away from her. She will never feel the same for me. Her heart will always be for that jerk who's in love with someone else. I was angry again and just stomped away. I needed to calm myself so I went to the school's rooftop and sat on a bench. Everything was not how I planned.

****

A week after and Mary and I decided to ignore each other for a while but it didn't go unnoticed by Stephanie and Taehyung. As much as we tried to avoid each, we would always find each other again in each other's presence. It was uncomfortable being together and I wished I could go back in time to fix this. Maybe we would be joking around together right now.

"You and Mary seem a bit odd this week, mind telling us what's wrong?" Taehyung says out nowhere whilst slurping his noodles. Mary and I both mumbled no and continued eating in silence.

It was lunch and Taehyung and I both decided to sit in the cafeteria. Mary and Stephanie also decided to sit with us which made things awkward. Stephanie and Taehyung noticed it but tried to act as normal as possible. The silence felt suffocating and made me nervous. Any move I made didn't go unnoticed by Mary. That was until Taehyung had enough.

"This is too much for me, I'm out," he slammed his hands on the table before grabbing his tray and leaving the table. Stephanie followed him out and I poked at my noodles. Mary looked down at her rice and looked around the cafeteria to avoid making eye-contact with me. I wanted to get up and leave with them but then I would leave Mary as well.

"Mary," I start to say before I'm interrupted by the bell. I sigh and look down at my unfinished noodles. Mary begins to get up to leave and I try to think of every way to stop her so I could talk to her. 

"I guess I'll see you later," she mumbles to me before leaving. I jog up to her to keep up with her and try to think of something to say.

"Mary, please listen to me," I stop in front of her and she avoids my eyes.

"Baekhyun, I'm going to be late for class if you keep doing this," she says and tries to walk around me but I hold her arms.

"Please just wait, " I begin to say. "I'm sorry how I acted last week, I don't know what I was thinking but I hope we'll still stay as friends. Even though you know how I feel I hope that doesn't stop us from being friends. And if you don't, well I hope we can stay as friendly classmates?" I was unsure of what I was saying and I knew I was babbling on. Mary begins to laugh and I slightly smile at her reaction.

"Baekhyun, it's fine. We can still be friends. I'm sorry that I don't feel the same but someone will. You're a great person but maybe we should still stick as friends?" Her words hurt me but I put at bright smile on, pretending I was fine. I don't what this feeling was but I didn't like it. Rejection hurts a lot. But maybe this is for the best.

"As long as things are fine between us. I'm happy to just be friends," I say.

"Well we better go to class or else we'll late," she says whilst giggling. I chuckle and begin to walk to my locker.

"See you later," she says to me before heading off to her next class. I sigh and look down at my shoes. 

"See you later friend."