Chapter 34

Mary

Weeks had passed and before I knew it, Baekhyun was now preparing to perform the song he had been preparing for months on. I smiled as I sat in my seat and watched as people moved into their seats. I was excited to watch his performance. I just knew it was going to be amazing. Stephanie was sitting on my right whilst Taehyung was sitting on my left, who was texting on his phone. I felt my phone vibrate against my thigh and I looked down to see a text from Baekhyun.

B – Hey, you here yet?
M – Yeah, I'm here. When's it gonna start? I'm really excited!!!
B – Soon.

I sighed and turned my phone off. I looked around and saw Baekhyun's mother come in. Last time I saw her, she wasn't that happy when she saw me but then again, I did disturb her when she was watching her drama. She turned to look us and smiled. She began to walk over and stood in front of us.

"Hello, Stephanie and Taehyung. How are you two? Baekhyun hasn't brought you two over in a while. I must organise something for you guys," she says and gives a soft smile. "Oh Mary, right?"

I nod shyly.

"Baekhyun tells me good things about you. Sorry we couldn't talk much last time but I was just a bit busy." Just a bit busy. She sits in the empty spot next to Stephanie and begins to talk to her. I turn to Taehyung who is still texting and roll my eyes. I poke his shoulder and he looked over at me and raises his eyebrow.

"I'm bored talk to me," I say and he sighs and fully turns to me.

"Why don't you join their conversation?" He nudges his head to the direction of Stephanie and Baekhyun's mum who were both talking.

"One it's rude to just intrude in a conversation and I'm pretty sure she just wants to talk to her."

"Well she has always liked Stephanie out of all his girlfriends," I lift my eyebrows in surprise. Girlfriends? I have this uneasy feeling in my stomach but try to quickly get rid of it. I tried to keeping a straight face and ignore what Taehyung had just said.

"You know friends who are girls. Girlfriends," Taehyung says to me and chuckles.

"So jealous," he mumbles and I snap my head towards him and give him a glare. I'm not jealous. I roll my eyes and hear people begin to quieten down, meaning the performances were about to start. I smile and start to sit up straighter. A man in a suit comes out on stage and begins to do an introduction on the show. The light moves and focuses on a panel a few rows ahead of us. Must be the judges. There were 2 women and 3 men sitting and waving at everyone.

"Well let's start with the auditions! First up we have Kang Seulgi," he begins to walk off stage and Seulgi walks out from the side. She nervously smiles at the audience. She's very pretty and I know a lot of the boys have tried to get with her. Even boys from other schools have heard about her and tried to find their way into her heart. I remember sitting next to her for home class a few years ago and Valentine's Day had come up and flowers were all over our desks. The smell of roses made me feel sick after that day. But that all stopped when she fell for the school's best dancer, Park Jimin. They both danced and sang, they were pretty much perfect. I could see Jimin in the audience holding a small bouquet of flowers and smiling like crazy.

"So pretty," I hear Taehyung say and I turn to look at him weirdly. "What? It's true. If she wasn't taken I would've hit her up already."

I hear Stephanie chuckle and mumble horny bastard. 

I've heard Seulgi sing many times when I did music in my first year here. Her voice sounded like it came from an angel. It wasn't like most other girl vocalists, it was unique and beautiful. I was very excited to see her performance and see her sing once again. She began to sing Lee Sun Hee's song 'Turning the Pages of Memories' and I already had goose bumps. Her high notes were on point and her voice was beautiful. I could see Jimin with a proud smile and when she ended her performance everyone clapped loudly and the judges were all nodding to each other. I wanted to hear the results but we don't get to until the very end.

One by one, different students came onto the stage. Some good and some that could've done better. I just wanted Baekhyun to be called up. There was a break in between and lots of people began to move out of their seats to stretch.

"Who do you think is going to get in?" Stephanie says to me and I try to list a few of the top 3 performances in my head.

"I'm not sure but I think Seulgi, Seungwan and Jongdae might get in," I say and Stephanie nods.

"Same, how about you Taehyung?" He turns to us and scratches his jaw as if he was thinking very deeply.

"Seulgi is a definite and maybe Jaebum," we both nod and I feel my phone vibrate. I grab my phone and see a text from Baekhyun.

B – I'm next. I'm so nervous TT^TT
M – You'll do fine. I know it!

Again, everyone quietens down and I knew Baekhyun was next. My feet were tapping crazily against the carpet and I heard Baekhyun's name being called.

"Next contestant, Byun Baekhyun," the hosts says and I hear Taehyung clapping loudly.

I see him come out and a piano is rolled onto the stage. I can see he is extremely nervous and I wish I could calm him down. He sits at the piano and takes deep breathes before starting. He plays a small intro before starting and I was already sitting at the edge of my seat. I couldn't recognise the song but I smiled.

Found an old tape unexpectedly and listened to one of the songs.
Clumsy piano performance but fresh voice.
Smile at our countless memories.
A song made for your birthday.
Cheesy sounds even with no lyrics.
You were delighted like a little child.

You said you could feel all my hearts that were poured into.
I sing it softly now and again and shed tears.
Feeling envy of myself and missing you as well.
On the old tape and in the old days.
Smile after tears.
Can't stop listening to this song.
Like a fool.

He finished the song with a soft piano outro and I didn't realise that I was crying until he left the stage. I didn't realise that I was going to be so moved. I laughed softly to myself and wiped my face. Taehyung was left shocked and was still looking towards the stage. Baekhyun's performance was beyond beautiful. He had to get in. It would almost be impossible for him not to. I wiped my face again and fanned my face. A tissue was brought in front of my face and I got a bit startled at the sight. I turn to see who it was from and see Baekhyun's mum giving me a warm smile. She too had some tears and I thanked her for the tissue. My cheeks were a bit warm from being caught crying but I was thankful.

The performances ended after a few more students and I was nervous for the results. I knew Baekhyun would get in but I still couldn't stop feeling anxious. The judges were all talking and writing down results before handing it to a man who was giving the results to someone else. On that sheet were the names of the trainees going into SMTOWN. I smiled as I knew Baekhyun's name was going to be on it.

"Ladies and gentleman, the results are in. We will present the students names onto the screen behind me and the following contestants will officially be trainees in SMTWON," the host says. One by one names appeared on the screen and I waited for Baekhyun's.

SON SEUNGWAN
KIM JONGDAE
KIM JONGHYUN
KIM JONGIN
KANG SEULGI
SEO JUHYUN
PARK SOOYOUNG
PARK SUNYOUNG
LEE JINKI

"Congratulations to these 9 students who will immediately start training with SMTOWN. We will give you the best wishes to your debut and fully support you on your journey. Thank you."

I re-read the names over and over but it was the same. Is there a mistake? How did Baekhyun not get it? Where is his name? I was so sure though. There has to be a big mistake here.